• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stiffer shocks?

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
im looking for a better ride on the roads. my rough country shocks are worn out. would stiffer shocks give the ride im looking for? if so what are some good shocks to get?

'93 sport 2door 6.5" lift

I am running skyjacker soft ride hydros, I absolutly love them on road. My wife even noticed a difference after I installed them. I was running some douchetechs nitros. They run nice and firm without killing your kidneys.

I'm running KYB's on my MJ and it rides and handles great. I live in the mountains so I don't think there is any such thing as too firm. with the 5-link suspension the shocks play an important part in making a truck stable.

if you can figure out what size to get for that lift. I really enjoyed the Monroe Sensa-Tracs that I had on my cherokee last go around. If you want to get a good ride you are going to have to drop some money on a set of good shocks. The white bodied shocks that come with almost every lift kit out there are complete crap. They are basically just dampers. Bilstein 5150's ride pretty good. as do a good set of RS9000's

In my opinion,good hydralic shocks ride softer than comparable gas shocks. I'm an old fart & I like my soft ride & hydros are my weapon of choice. I also think they last longer. I had RS 9000s on a built Blazer[ 6" Rancho & 3/4 ton axles etc.] & they were dead in 5K mi. I replaced them with Monroe hydros & was much happier. And yes, the white shocks that came with my R.E. kit are crap.

Stiffer shocks won't give you a better ride on the road. Why would they? You need softer shocks.

If you have 6.5" and short arms, I don't think anything will give you a good ride.

winkosmosis said:
Stiffer shocks won't give you a better ride on the road. Why would they? You need softer shocks.

If you have 6.5" and short arms, I don't think anything will give you a good ride.
my ride seems too loose. too much wobble. bouncy. im thinking stiffer shocks will give me a more stable feeling ride. even the steering feels loose. was thinking new stabilizer while im at it.

goodburbon said:
Drop brackets or long arms of any sort?
no, tube arms from the RC 4.5" kit but drop bracket or adjustable CA's not out of the question.
im also looking for a budget fix here. from what i know about RE, OME and bilstein, they aint cheap.
another thing, my coils are bowed a bit so i think i need adjustable CA's anyway.

Last edited:
So you're running 6.5" of lift with control arms mounted in the stock location and you're wanting a better ride?? I'm not sure that bilsteins would even help your situation!! Not that that setup won't get the job done off road.....but if you want that setup to give you a nice ride, I think it will take a lot more than new shocks!!

Long arms or DBs will improve the ride, even with your current worn out shocks. Shocks can only do so much. They just smooth out the transitions and keep the springs from continuing to oscillate. If rough transitions and continued oscillations are your problem, then better shocks are the solution. If you've got a rough ride.....suspension geometry.

I have LAs with ~6" of lift and 5150s up front and my jeep rides like a cadillac. It's not just the 5150s though, it's the combination of the shocks, the springs, and the suspension geometry that give the nice ride.

I had a similiar setup and just finished up with a rubicon express long arm install. All I can say is WOW. I had put hydro's on and was too the point of selling the xj and buying a grand to fix up. I'm glad I decided to go with the RE Long Arms instead. It's like driving a new vehicle. Save your coin and get some long arms or drop brackets with some RE monotube shocks. You'll like your XJ again when you do! ;)

I can track down options for you depending on which you'd like.

Rancho RS9000
ProComp MX6
Tuff Country SX8000

My deals on the ProComps are probably pretty good.

Shocks won't fix your problem. The answer, as given by others, is drop brackets or Long arms. You could spend money on new shocks, but you won't be happy with the results.

You won't be able to cheap shock your way to a better ride, until you fix the control arm angle you are wasting your money.

goodburbon said:
Shocks won't fix your problem. The answer, as given by others, is drop brackets or Long arms. You could spend money on new shocks, but you won't be happy with the results.

You won't be able to cheap shock your way to a better ride, until you fix the control arm angle you are wasting your money.
im not complaining about a jarring ride due to short arms. my shocks are worn out and im just looking for some suggestions on shocks. if i wanted a luxury ride id buy a cadillac. when i want a better CA angle ill go with long arms or drop brackets but for now i just need new shocks. as someone posted earlier my shocks are not up to the task of dampening the oscillations of the spring giving me a loose feeling ride because my shocks are worn out.

what kind of deal you got on the procomp's JR?

Last edited:
tigerShark said:
what kind of deal you got on the procomp's JR?

ProComp only sells a 3" Cherokee Lift, so in order to pick the right ones, I need to know the current extended lengths on the shocks you have, unless you know the lengths you want.

I'm going to guess you're gonna need around 27-29" extended length up front and 25-27" rear.

If that's the case, I can recommend...

Front MX6104 (27.5") or MX6026 (29.5")
Rear MX6027 (24.5") or MX6014 (26.5")

No matter which you choose, pricing is all the same.

$93.49 each + 7.48 S/H each

or if you buy 4 I will give you 5% off the shocks at $88.82 each + $28.42 S/H ( $383.70 total)

Back