• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd driveshaft length issue.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, a guy that I know has taken a 4.5" lift off of his '96 XJ w/8.25, 231 and AX15. He's installed a 2" budget boost and returned all other components to stock except for a custom made crossmember w/t-case skid.

Here's the problem: The factory 5 speed drive shaft is way too short and an automatic trans drive shaft is also too short! He's basically putting everything back onto the '96 that it had before he lifted it, but added a 2" BB suspension.

Why would even an auto rear drive shaft be too short? We measured it - 28" joint cap to joint cap. He needs at least a 30" length to make it work.

The custom crossmember appears to keep the stock dimensions of a stock crossmember or possibly a bit lower. Doesn't seem to be the problem.....

He's going to put a stock crossmember back in and if that doesn't help, he'll lower it an inch....... but I can't imagine that'd be enough........

Anyone else have any other ideas as to what the heck is wrong? Nothing about this makes sense.

YELLAHEEP said:
Ok, a guy that I know has taken a 4.5" lift off of his '96 XJ w/8.25, 231 and AX15. He's installed a 2" budget boost and returned all other components to stock except for a custom made crossmember w/t-case skid.

Here's the problem: The factory 5 speed drive shaft is way too short and an automatic trans drive shaft is also too short! He's basically putting everything back onto the '96 that it had before he lifted it, but added a 2" BB suspension.

Why would even an auto rear drive shaft be too short? We measured it - 28" joint cap to joint cap. He needs at least a 30" length to make it work.

The custom crossmember appears to keep the stock dimensions of a stock crossmember or possibly a bit lower. Doesn't seem to be the problem.....

He's going to put a stock crossmember back in and if that doesn't help, he'll lower it an inch....... but I can't imagine that'd be enough........

Anyone else have any other ideas as to what the heck is wrong? Nothing about this makes sense.

I asked the Mod to move this to Modified because the vehicle has been, well, modified.

Auto driveshafts are generally shorter, Manuals generally longer. Manuals with a D35 rear, the longest yet.

Now, they also seemed to vary by year range, with the 84-86 models having the longest rear shaft, and the OBDII models having the shortest shafts.

I had gotten a rear shaft from a 99'. AX15, D35 combo, and IIRC, the shaft was a bit over 29".
I can't see the crossmember being an issue. If it was that far forward, he'd be eating radiators.
The 96' used an external yoke. Did he shorten the output shaft for a SYE?

Back