• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing front bump stops

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Is there an easy way to remove the stock front bumps stops? and install the longer poly ones? Without disassembling the entire front end??
Thanks!:wave1:

When I did the budget boost in our ZJ I just disconnected the shocks and used a coil spring compresser from harbour freight(I personally do not advise this tool for safety reasons) to remove the coils with the axle still attatched. The only time I messed with my xj's front springs or bumpstops were when I was pulling everything anyways.

If you get the coil out, use a pipe wrench to loosen it. Mine were very hard to get off. Needed a pipe wrench and a 5' breaker bar.
Yours might be easier.

So I can't remove these with the front springs in place? sucks.....:passgas:

ChuckstrPT said:

You can but, I think you'd spend more time fighting it than if you'd take out the spring.

I'd cut the chase and take the springs out. Remember, you have to put the new ones in too.

I've done it with the springs in and it was a pain, well pain might be a little exagerated. Jacked it up off the bumper with a highlift to seperate the spring then a prybar for the little bit extra. These were going in the bottom though, might not be hard to get it in the coil but getting in position could be a little harder. If you use a highlift, be careful when you have your hands in the spring.

Why not just glue in, with gutter silicon, a hockey puck like everyone else does? Just drop it through the coils after you have cleaned up the middle of axle coil bucket.

Gojeep said:
Why not just glue in, with gutter silicon, a hockey puck like everyone else does? Just drop it through the coils after you have cleaned up the middle of axle coil bucket.
Yeh, I thought about that. But the polyurethane replacements were only $20 and give me 1.5 inches more, and I only need 2 inches. I figure it looks cleaner this way. I'm thinking puck for that last 1/2-1 inch, except they don't play much ice hockey in Alabama...I may need to mail order a couple!
Thanks for the advice!:wave1:

ChuckstrPT said:

Yes, you can. (I just did.) It's very quick. Take a coil spring compressor, but put the hooks on the threaded rod back-to-back (instead of facing each other). You'll need an extra nut to thread on the rod to hold the hooks apart. Then when you tighten the threaded rod, the springs will separate instead of compress. Once the axle is at full droop, you don't have to spread the coil much to pop the old bump stop out and the new one in. Much easier than removing the coil, IMHO.

Well, you can get the replacement bumpstops through the coils without removal. I had the front at full droop. It took a bit of tapping with a dead blow hammer, and some elbow grease, but I was readily able to get them in and out multiple times. Seems I've got the wrong year parts...so I had to modify them multiple times inorder to get them to fit! But, they're in. And I"ve glued hockey pucks to the bottom, so I should have all the bump stop I need for now!
Thanks for the input!

Back