• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding to a 2" budget boost??? Options?

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
So, Its been about 2 years since I installed a Rough Country 2" budget boost on my XJ. (2" coil spring spacers in the front, 2" extended shackles in the rear) and ended up running 30x9.5x15's and I feel like its time to make an upgrade. So what are my options?

So far I know I want to go at least 2 inches bigger, maybe 3.

I also know that I will need longer brake lines and longer shocks to make up for the lift.

So my question is, what would you go for? Im on a budget... College student, and I probably wont be changing out my 30's for a few months until I can afford it.

So should I go with 2" front coils and keep the 2" spacers, then throw on some 2" add a leafs in the rear and keep running the shackles? Full 2" lift leaf springs in the rear?

Im trying to do this as cheap as possible. Any help would be very much appreciated.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
:greensmok

i ran a 2" procomp bb which had a spacer and an add-a-leaf. i found some 3" coils on an xj at a junkyard for $25 and bought some longer shackles from a local seller for $50. so, i have 5" in the front and about 5" in the back. i have yet to upgrade the steering and i still have my stock control arms, brakelines, and my 2" shocks. i love how it rides and it clears 33s with some trimming.
Picture117.jpg

so you didnt have to replace the shocks or steering or drop anything? i was told that over 4.5" of lift you had to drop some stuff? either way it looks damn good. Your brake lines arent stretching?

For "CHEAP", 79 & earlier F-150 coils with your bb spacers, wiil work but have a harsh ride & they clunk, or if you can score junkyard aftermarket coils for the front &still use your spacers it can give you about 4 1/2".Move the brake line brackets down as far as you can & you should be ok for 4 1/2". Drill a hole over 3/4" from stock for the track bar on the axle. If you have [I believe, but I could have the year wrong] a 98 & earlier drop the t/c 1". you can use spacers or 1"x2" rectangular tubing. In the rear build some bastard packs & keep your shackles. Adda-leafs suck especially with shackles. Use a YJ rear brake line & you're good to go. Take the money you've saved by DIY & buy yourself some decent shocks. This is my blueprint for 4"/4 1/2" of El-Cheapo lift. There are lots of good threads on bastard packs, they all work. This should allow you to run 32"s with little or no trimming. A set of adjustable LCAs will make it drive good after you get tired of the DW, but you can get by without them for now.If you have a late model you need an SYE & there goes your budget. They do have shock extensions but I don't know anyone who has ever used them.:cheers:

Last edited:
Check your local chapter for used parts. That will save you $$$ and the parts are already "broke in".

yah, if youre gonna do it wait till you can get some 3-3.5" coils and full packs. you can find that stuff all the time in your local chapter, craigslist, or your local picknpull for cheap. just be patient and find a deal. get control arms and longer brake lines, 95 gmc 2wd front lines are 15$ each and work great, a 96 dakota rear line works great and is cheap, all are dot certified as well and all good up to a 6-7" lift. then of course be ready to drop the t case , shim the leafs, and/or do a sye as well. and a new track bar at that height as well. peice it all together for cheap then do it all in a weekend.

well damn, thats a bit more than i expected (about the brake lines, and dropping the transfer case) Im just limited to tools and a garage at the current moment.

although, i live in an area of colorado with tons and tons of pull yards and jeep parts stores, so i should be able to find something.

anyone in colorado springs willing to trade a couple of cases of beer for some time in their garage/shop, and maybe some use of tools?!

If you double up 2 stock rear leaf packs, it gives you ~ 3" of lift. With your shackle you should be able to get ~4.5"-5" of lift.

The brake lines & t/c drop are no brainers, E-Z stuff, no special tools, just a floor jack & a drill. There are so many simple options for brake lines out there for you & the same on the t/c drop.You might have to learn to bleed brakes is all. The hardest part will be the leaf springs, but if you're considering an adda-leaf you should just go ahead & build a pair of springs, it's not that much more work since you have to take the springs apart any how. Go for it! You'll be happy with the lift & you can say "I built it myself"& save a bunch of $$$ in the process.

xjrider95 said:

Wait a second...where's your front differential? Are you 2 wheel drive?

:twak:

haha yea i was waiting for someone to say that. its true i have a 2wd :doh: , but im in the process of getting a tcase, tranny, front axle etc. but im very low on funds right now :bawl:

IF you are gonna buy coils, do not reuse the spacers, get the right sized coils... they can be had cheeply enough.
maybe you should save up for a RE 3.5? it seems to fit your budget, and it comes with everything that would normally nickel and dime you to death
after 4" it gets more involved...

Back