• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ doesn't even crank, then starts fine after waiting an hour?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
So there I was this morning, had just driven to the store... went back out to my XJ, turned the key, went to start it, and absolutely nothing happened. All the electrical worked just great (radio, power windows, etc.) Battery is no more than a year old, so there I was sitting, baffled.

First thing that came to my mind was that the starter has just gone kapoot on me. I bummed a ride to work. My coworker suggested that if it is indeed the starter, we could whack it with a hammer and it just might start again. We went to try it, and I decided to give it one more turn of the key before we did anything, and it started right up! I have been driving it all day today w/ no problems at all and am hoping that it never happens again.

Anyone ever have such a random, crazy thing happen before? It went from not responding at all when the key was turned to working just fine an hour later. I am anxious to hear if I am alone with this problem or if it's happened to someone else. Mine is a '99 XJ w/ 140,000 miles.

2000 XJ. Did the same thing randomly for about 4 months before I changed the starter. Bad brushes in the starter. When it got hot, it wouldn't do a thing. Let it cool down and it would start right up.

happened to me too

I have a 94 XJ , one day did not wanted to start , I hit the starter solenoid with a wrench , it started fine the rest of the day , did it again next day, went to KRAGEN,cause it was the closest auto part store , bought a new starter , replaced it and it cured the problem, so I think that you should consider to replace your starter....

good luck

:peace:

I have the same problem...

Won't start at all, let the car sit for 30 minutes or roll it back and forth and it starts like a champ. So far I have rebuilt the NSS, replaced 2 starters (rebuilt one and bought one), replaced 2 batteries (killed the first one by working with doors open, etc. second one was free under warranty) replaced all battery wires with 0 gauge welding cables with soldered terminals, relocated the ground to the starter body itself, and probably a couple of other things I have forgotten.

It's actually done it the past 2 days. I shake the car all around and hop on the front bumper once or twice. It starts up right after that. If anyone knows of a safety sensor type thing that would keep it from starting and then make contact after shaken I believe we might have the same problem (mine is a 98).

What's really troubling to me is I can hear the solenoid engage... so it probably is yet another starter or loose connection somewhere.

I have a 99 that does the same on occasion. I have an automatic, and if I move the shifter from Park to Drive and back, it will start right up.

Interesting that I'm not alone. I hope that this was just a one time thing and doesn't become a recurring problem. I'll definitely remember to shake things around and to move my shifter and try again. Thanks guys.

I had a similar problem a couple years agon in my '98. Replaced starters, battery, cables, and all new grounds and thought it was fixed. It came back.

Cleaned NSS. Thought it was fixed, and it came back.

Replaced the starter relay in the fuse block under the hood. Haven't had a problem since. It could all be interelated, but it is a dealer only part and they are $10-13.

I read in JP mag that it's a position sensor that's mounted on the side of the transimision (auto). They show a re-build prceedure, and caution that a replacement is like $300 at the stealership...

scat said:
I read in JP mag that it's a position sensor that's mounted on the side of the transimision (auto). They show a re-build prceedure, and caution that a replacement is like $300 at the stealership...

That would be the NSS thats mentioned above.

Back