• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange wheel spin????

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 1990 larado. i've had it for a year and no nothing of service and drive line work. i cannot read what kind if diff i have but am guessing the d44.
so i was playing around in my lawn with the xj. and i punched the gas and left a skid mark going down the lawn. now heres my question both tires left equal length skid marks. now it was in 2wd. and im confused isn't this kind of thing related to a posi or lsd? :shocked:

Sounds like you have a LSD, unless someone put a locker in there. If you have a locker you will feel and here it "chunk" when it engages. If you wound up with a D44 and LSD, you are lucky.

i dont think i got lsd i have no sticker in the glove box and i dont know what im looking for in the door jam. and the d44 is just a guess. is there any other way of finding it out other than on the cover. i have wider drums if that matters. diff findings

Actually you wont see any springs if its a 35 with a factory "trac-lok." It has clutches behind the spider gears with pressure on them. Also in dirt or on level grass it is possible that a peg-legger will spin both tires.

The best way to verify is to jack up the rear and figure it out from there, ill spare the procedure. unless you need it.

One goin the other direction isnt a possibility....It would never "power" both wheels in opposite directions. But if someone made something like that it would be hilarious to watch.

here is another good image for determining what axle by the diff shape.

jeepdiferentialssl3.jpg

i dont recall where i got it from so i dont know who to give credit to.

well there is no way for me to tell if i have some kind of locker in there. also this might be the reason that if i hit the gas it wont screech the tires.

atho it does look like it was open at some time. there is an orange gasket sealer ring.

Jack the back of the jeep up, in park. Try and spin one of the tires by hand. If it freely turns and the other spins the other way then its open.

If it is hard to spin but with enough force will turn, then its a posi.

Honestly you would know if you had a locker. Even the best ones out there have their moments of clicking and popping. Also driving with one is a different feeling than an open or posi. It will act funny around slow tight corners, pull slightly on deceleration, chirp the tires while turning even if your not giving it much gas.

BeJay1981 said:
Jack the back of the jeep up, in park. Try and spin one of the tires by hand. If it freely turns and the other spins the other way then its open.

If it is hard to spin but with enough force will turn, then its a posi.

Honestly you would know if you had a locker. Even the best ones out there have their moments of clicking and popping. Also driving with one is a different feeling than an open or posi. It will act funny around slow tight corners, pull slightly on deceleration, chirp the tires while turning even if your not giving it much gas.
i think the other one when backwards but im not sure if this was the jeep or my other car.

atho it does feel like its binding when i turn sharply in reverse

Back