• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goferit Flip

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I emailed the folks at Goferit this question a while ago but have not recieved an answer back, so maybe someone here can answer it faster.
I am putting a tierod flip insert in my Drivers side knuckle but I dont have a welder, so, can I drive my Jeep about 7 miles with the flip insert just bolted into place without tearing things up?
Thanx Cardboard

I drove without welding the insert for probably 6 months before the insert eventually started to wallow out the hole in the knucle and gave me DW.

I did the flip and I love it. I gues you could drive a little while like that but you could jack up the insert. I wouldnt worry about the nuckle because you could just weld it up. If you have already drilled out the nuckle then you could always use a welding rod and a couple of batteries to tack it in place. Its old school but it will hold it in place until you get there. You know they only recommend a few tacks to hold the insert in place anyways.

cardboard said:
I emailed the folks at Goferit this question a while ago but have not recieved an answer back, so maybe someone here can answer it faster.
I am putting a tierod flip insert in my Drivers side knuckle but I dont have a welder, so, can I drive my Jeep about 7 miles with the flip insert just bolted into place without tearing things up?
Thanx Cardboard

7 miles isnt going to hurt anything. Just do it.

Problem is that you wont be able to get the insert off the taper of the TRE. The insert will come out of the hole instead and can be impossible to take the insert off the TRE without damaging it.
Not a good idea at all to install the insert and then bolt up the TRE without the insert wleded into place. Surely you have at least a stick welder to weld the insert in place? Works great with a stainless steel rod on the cast steel knuckle.

I thought the alternative was J-B weld. You just have to wait for the J-B to cure.

Back