• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

left turn, engine cuts out,in,out,in

xj88superjeep

NAXJA Forum User
This is becoming more and more frequent, and I have seen the "left turn sputter / left turn stall / left turn hesitation" referred to on numerous occasions, but after two days of searching, can find no definite cause or resolution. Some say possible shorting wire, some say possible fuel filter or fuel pickup or fuel delivery problem. Most say it is at or below 1/4 tank, but mine does it when tank is full. When I am acceleration hard into a left turn from a stop, it just cuts out for like a full second, then kicks, then cuts out, then kicks, usually 2 or three times bucking like as if I was driving a manual and let the clutch out too fast! then it stops after the turn and drives normal. Can anyone shed some light on this left turn phenomenon, or is it like the Bermuda triangle of problems where no one knows the exact cause?

my 91 did that last year. And no one could figure it out. Then we tested the fuel pressure and it was way to low. So i put in a new fuel pump and it fixed the problem.

Mine does it when the tank is FULL... that is the part confusing me a little...

Thanks myred! I was hoping I didn't have to shell out for a new pump! UGH!

I did play around with my TPS not toooooo long ago without using my volt meter... Hopefully that's just starving it a little, and I don't need a new pump. Gonna re-adjust the TPS (USING THE VOLT METER :D) and do my first seafoam treatment tonight to see if it helps.

Found out what the problem was! My positive battery cable had dry rotted and cracked, and in a left turn under medium to heavy acceleration, the engine flex would push the metal air conditioner hose connector down on it. I feel stupid that I didn't catch that before it caused problems! I am under the hood practically every day. The arcing had actually EATEN almost half way through the cable... I cut it off and put a new terminal on the end. I can't believe it was right in front of me! I would have cried if my Jeep burned up! Anyway, I Seafoamed her, and she thanked me by blowing out a ton of carbon and giving me a great joyride as I blew out the Seafoam! Stuff worked great, and I'm really happy she's running so good! Thanks for the feedback!

Back