• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what product fills small holes best?

JrTxJ

NAXJA Forum User
i removed the rear brackets that hold on the end caps, and now i have the rivet holes left. i know this may seem simple and bondo comes to mind quickly, but i was wondering if anyone recomends anything else that works better or easier? i have 3 holes on each side and i plan on filling and repainting either stock patriot blue or bedlining the area...i just want to know if there is a faster drying product that works like bondo, or if i should just use that.

any help is appreciated, thanks!

Depends on whether the holes are in a structural member or not - I'm guessing not...

You can get a two-part filler (like Bondo) but metal-based, rather than poly. Look for it at welding supply shops and body shop supply houses under the names "Lab-metal," "All-metal," or "Metal2Metal."

Also, for small holes, it's possible to use a two-part "putty stick" metal-bearing epoxy for hole filling. JBWeld can be used in a pinch, but I'd probably use JB-Kwick, and back the hole with some sheet copper (helps to fill the hole, and JB shouldn't stick to copper - old welder's trick...) to keep the stuff in the hole until it sets.

If the part is structural, I'd suggest just welding or brazing the hole closed. However, the two-part metal fillers and the "putty stick" are both going to be easier to sand to finish.

I never did like the idea of filling metal with plastic...

5-90

langer1 said:
Bad news the faster it sets the weaker it is.

i didn't mean like a few minutes, i just meant in general so i could paint over it in a relatively short time period / same day.

thanks for the suggestions guys...

Back