• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This bumper worth a darn (Again)

my freind has the same exact one

it is a nice bumper but there are a couple problems
1- the place that makes those has bad customer service and when they didnt send the mounting brackets and he called to get them they for some reason wouldnt do it until he started giving them alot of negative feedback on ebay i dont know why they were not attached to the bumper in the first place?
2- the ends of the bumper are only like 3/16 thick so when he smashed it on a rock it got all bent and now everytime his tires rub on where it bent it just bends it again and again but he also has 37s on his rig so you may not run into that problem if you have smaller tires

i can tell you though he has winched many many times and pulled several cars out of ditches slid off the road and it has worked very well

i say its worth giving a shot but hopefully somebody else has so more experiece with it and will post up

Spend the extra money for Grade 8 bolts and the winch plate if you are going to be adding a winch to that bumper.

It comes raw steel...?

My Rustys prerunner style bumper that came with all the bolts, mounting plates and paint for that price. However, it's a tube bumper, which is different from the one you posted.
101_0398.jpg

I've got it, and I've been happy with it. It's tough to beat for the price, and the price has gone down since I bought it a year ago.

The mounts and bumper are well made (decent welds) but the customer service isn't the best. When I won the bid, the site said 4-6 weeks to deliver. It look closer to 10, and customer service didn't seem to think that was a problem.

4LowandGo said:
Spend the extra money for Grade 8 bolts and the winch plate if you are going to be adding a winch to that bumper.

It comes raw steel...?

My Rustys prerunner style bumper that came with all the bolts, mounting plates and paint for that price. However, it's a tube bumper, which is different from the one you posted.
101_0398.jpg
Your Rustys bumper also looks like poop, and most likely uses the stock mounting locations.

mscans said:
whats with the hatin'/quote]
x2
Granted, everyone plays a little different - my old man and his buddies call each other A**holes. - but don't be talking about a man's rig... ;)

I just mounted this bumper a few days ago. Yes, customer service is not the best and shipping took 6 weeks. As already stated, I think that it's a good bumper for the price. It comes raw steel - powdercoat is no longer an option b/c of the delay in shipping (mine still took 6 weeks). Welds are pretty good quality and bumper arrived w/o ANY rust - just prep, prime, and paint. I used Rustoleum: 2 cans clean metal primer, 2 cans black auto primer, and 2 cans flat back enamel. Maybe I overdid it a little but I plan on using it. The mounting brackets are separate from the bumper to facilitate installation - easily installed by one person. I also installed Crock inside steering box bracket at the same time.

I got the bumper, winch hoop, and grade 8 hardware shipped for $415 - not bad. Only problem I encountered was that I had to reuse the OEM bolts to mount the steering box. The hardware he provided was 1/2inch but the steering box is smaller (I believe it was 7/16). It does come with a separate winch mounting plate (no fairlead).

mscans said:
whats with the hatin'

looks good to me. it's holding that winch on, which he obviously uses, so it must be mounted okay.
Just because someone has a winch, does not mean its used, or held on correctly.

As for the hating, everyone has an opinion, but to me, it looks like that tube portion of that bumper was an afterthought to the design.

Starboard M said:
Just because someone has a winch, does not mean its used, or held on correctly.

As for the hating, everyone has an opinion, but to me, it looks like that tube portion of that bumper was an afterthought to the design.

are you serious? he's waist deep in water, covered in mud, and the winch is unwound, it's pretty obvious he uses it.

If your in the market for bumpers you need to check into Ryans Fabrication out of Pennsylvania. A guy I know is running there bumpers and he said they are awesome. The only thing is for our XJ's you have to get the winch bumper to get the added mounting on the front because the non-winch bumper only mounts to the factory points. They sell on ebay too.

Sorry to jack this thread but it really ticked me off(again)!
4LowandGo said:

It comes raw steel...?

101_0398.jpg
Pics are great,driver's an asshat.Its this kind of mentallity that cost us all big time.I already checked the Georgia laws(same as the federal mandate on "wetlands").This stuff is why we fight so hard to try and keep our trails open.Stupidity is not an excuse and is not endorsed by UFWDA or Tread Lightly or any other recognized association.Around here its a MINIMUM of 150$ per tire.In the OP's original thread he said it was fun(at who' expenense?).
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/4lowandgo/?start=20
101_0413.jpg

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:

Pics are great,driver's an asshat.Its this kind of mentallity that cost us all big time.I already checked the Georgia laws(same as the federal mandate on "wetlands").This stuff is why we fight so hard to try and keep our trails open.Stupidity is not an excuse and is not endorsed by UFWDA or Tread Lightly or any other recognized association.Around here its a MINIMUM of 150$ per tire.In the OP's original thread he said it was fun(at who' expenense?).
101_0413.jpg

not cool

RCP Phx said:

101_0413.jpg

are you saying he's in wetlands?

are you serious? i know you're from arizona, and there must be an extensive network of wetlands there, but here in florida, i think we have a bit more, and sir, i tell you, he is not driving in wetlands. he is on land, and it is wet, but that is the furthest extent of it.

here is a google images of the word "Wetlands"

http://images.google.com/images?q=w...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

it'll lead you in the right direction, he's not busting donuts in a flagpond

i dont see a cypress tree, i dont see a cattail, and i dont see a lilly pad, the worst thing he could be doing is ruining his truck, or leaking oil if he's got such a leak.

get outta town, i am all for treading lightly, i once fought a stupid guy on a rhino for throwing his beer bottles in the woods. i was born here, and i have been in the woods since i was 10, i pack out everything i find on my way through.

but come on, some dude taking a bath in a lake, is no cause for concern.

mscans said:
are you serious? he's waist deep in water, covered in mud, and the winch is unwound, it's pretty obvious he uses it.
You must be looking at a different picture then I am. Looks to be about knee deep in the water. I do not see the winch line unwound.

Ive seen a whole bunch of stock TJs with a Warn 9k on the front bumper, and I doubt any of them even know how to use a winch. Point being, just because someone has a winch does not mean they use it, know how to use it properly, or have it mounted correctly.

mscans said:
are you saying he's in wetlands?

are you serious? i know you're from arizona, and there must be an extensive network of wetlands there, but here in florida, i think we have a bit more, and sir, i tell you, he is not driving in wetlands. he is on land, and it is wet, but that is the furthest extent of it.

here is a google images of the word "Wetlands"

http://images.google.com/images?q=wetlands&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

it'll lead you in the right direction, he's not busting donuts in a flagpond

i dont see a cypress tree, i dont see a cattail, and i dont see a lilly pad, the worst thing he could be doing is ruining his truck, or leaking oil if he's got such a leak.

get outta town, i am all for treading lightly, i once fought a stupid guy on a rhino for throwing his beer bottles in the woods. i was born here, and i have been in the woods since i was 10, i pack out everything i find on my way through.

but come on, some dude taking a bath in a lake, is no cause for concern.

Probably not the best idea that he is in a lake, but that is deffinetly NOT wetlands.

Back