• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front locker question

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
Can you run an auto locker (lock right/detroit) on the front?

I know you can, but my question is, there are no hubs on a D30 to disconnect the diff from the rotating assembly. It seems to me that in 4 wheel drive or not when you turn on the street or on the trail, the locker will lock.

thanks

Yes, you can run one in the front.

Its transparrent when in 2wd, the front is still uhooked from the driveline (hence why you can spin your front d/s when in 2wd)

Aussie is the preferred brand of lunchbox lockers.

yep. sure can. i am running an aussie locker in my D30 in my 95 xj- 4.0 AW4, 231. i can only hear it when making a tight turn (parking space with little room), making a u turn or when making a turn with a good amount of acceleration.

I worried about the same thing, but that was needless. If you have a part time 231, no problems. I have a 95XJ with PART TIME 4x4 (NP 231). I just installed an Aussie in front and it is super quiet compared to my Lock-Rite, and there is NO CHANGE in the way it runs while in two wheel drive. An awesome difference in four wheel drive!
I was blown away by the great service I got from Aussie Locker. They communicated as they were shipping from back order, answered all my continuous questions, and sent the nicest machine work I have seen in a long time. It was as if the customer was the most important person! They set the standard for excellence in service and product!

it must still be operating while in 2wd, otherwise why do people notice them sometimes? if it was invisible, then no one would notice it ever.

Reason this bothers me, is that perhaps if this locker is functionable then couldnt it cause bad tire wear

The way I understand it, the locker will be racheting while in 2wd but until you apply torque from the transfercase the locker never actually locks. You will hear it clicking in tight corners while turning because the dog teeth still need to ratchet past one and other. Possible more wear to the locker teeth but none to the tires. I just installed one in my D30 and nothing noticable except for the clicking. I am very happy with my Aussie.

stewie said:
yep. sure can. i am running an aussie locker in my D30 in my 95 xj- 4.0 AW4, 231. i can only hear it when making a tight turn (parking space with little room), making a u turn or when making a turn with a good amount of acceleration.

Same here, sometimes it sounds like a clicking, sometimes almost tire rubbing type when tight turning. Never any problems on acceleration. I'm running a 97 on 35s

The locker is worth every penny, night and day difference on the trails

squidd said:
The way I understand it, the locker will be racheting while in 2wd but until you apply torque from the transfercase the locker never actually locks. You will hear it clicking in tight corners while turning because the dog teeth still need to ratchet past one and other. Possible more wear to the locker teeth but none to the tires. I just installed one in my D30 and nothing noticable except for the clicking. I am very happy with my Aussie.

If what you say is true that is the exact answer I wanted....
thanks

Everyone keeps specifying these testimonials are with 231's, it's the same with a 242 as long as it is in 2wd correct? And the 4wd full time now acts like 4wd low/part time correct?

dard1324 said:
Everyone keeps specifying these testimonials are with 231's, it's the same with a 242 as long as it is in 2wd correct? And the 4wd full time now acts like 4wd low/part time correct?

Yes, it's the same in 2wd. I don't know how it acts in the FT mode. JIM.

If you use FT it will cause the locker to work like its supposed to, which would be a bad deal if your on pavement.

Just FYI, your front driveshaft does not spin freely by hand with a non-disco D30 or at least it shouldn't. (not sure if that's what you meant Islander?)

I have a lockright in my D30 and I don't notice it except in tight corners (i.e. parking lots).

An auto or "lunchbox" locker is just that. It automatically locks up when there is power applied to it. In 2wd, you're not powering it so the ratcheting effect of the teeth is all you hear/feel but only in tight corners (greater difference in speed of outer/inner tire).

As soon as you put it in 4WD, power goes to it and it locks up almost immediately (slight delay for the teeth to line up). Mine hasn't failed me and the difference on the trail outweighs the few clicks or noises on the street.

As for the 242 issue, I've only heard the same thing as well that you lose the ability to use FT with any auto locker front or rear. I've never had a 242 thought so I don't know.

hmm... you may be right, I've been running a disco front end in mine for the last year and a half, I may have forgotten how it behaves with a non-disco.

Same, I have never had any problems with my aussie. It works like its suppost to, and it hasn't chopped up my tires either.

Just do it. If you ever needed 4wheel drive on dry pavement to begin with.......you need to learn how to drive!!

You can engage 4 on dry pavement for purposes like pulling something or someone, but just try to keep the jeep in a straight line. You can turn, but there will be binding. You wouldn't want to go whipping down the road in 4 with a front locker.

Back