• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running ARB's off CO2

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone doing it?

I'm thinking I can regulate the tank at 90 PSI, plumb in some air valves and viola!

I've got plenty of 20lb tanks but, I want something smaller - would a 20oz paint ball tank be a possibility and would it be enough to run dual lockers for a day?

Do you have something in place in case of a leak? Could be a bad situation if you developed a leak and were somewhere open diffs won't cut it.

well with an air compressor you could pump more air, how do you plan to get more compressed co2 trail side?

Yes, you can do it, and people do it. You can piece it together, or PowerTank sells a kit IIRC.

Just gotta make sure you have enough juice if you wheel hard enough where lockers are required.

A guy I know carries two tanks just in case. It can even be a larger sized paintball CO2 as an emergency get you through the trail supply.

I'd also invest in a scale for your tank and check it often.

If it were me, I'd just get a cheap compressor.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=322846

http://www.norcalttora.com/~bob/arb.php

http://www.powertank.com/products/productID/135

2520367856_b1d1cd53e3_m.jpg

not sure how old your lockers are, but ARB may not warranty them if you run them off something other than their compressors. thought I had heard that recently from someone.

Leaks can happen with any system. Getting more CO2 trailside is as simple as carrying a spare tank. I have several 20lb tanks I swap out as my OBA system on my trail rig, but, this rig is my wifes DD and I want it a little stealthier than a 20lb tank sticking up in back.

Yeah, my original thought was to use that mini ARB compressor (with my gift cert it would be under $100) and she can fill tires at my rig or at the trailer.

lots of pro rockcrawlers run off of C02 tanks

If you can get an ARB comp. for under $100 then why not do it the right way?

dave92cherokee said:
If you can get an ARB comp. for under $100 then why not do it the right way?

Plenty of ARB lockers are run off OBA systems. I'd seen some of the small CO2 systems used in competition vehicles.

This is the ARB compressor I'm looking at:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=12820

I've been looking for something to spend my gift cert I won at the last event on. . .

Yeah it won't air up tires but, compared to CO2, all of the 12v compressors suck at it anyway. . .

3XJFamily said:
I'd seen some of the small CO2 systems used in competition vehicles.

competition vehicles run for 10 minutes maximum on a course and can head back to their pit for repairs of air lines or replacement of CO2 tanks in between courses...

I doubt you have that luxury on the trail...

I don't understand why everyone is hating on CO2 tanks for lockers. Does the locker really use a constant supply of air, or does the tank just pressurize the line and keep it there? If it is the latter, I reallllly doubt you are going to run out of CO2 unless you are on an extremely long trail. Tanks come in sizes up to 20 lbs, which is like 1200 gallons of air in a regular tank, plus there is no noise or power drain like with a compressor. You are all naming air line repairs and stuff, but how is that any different from a normal compressor setup? Bring a big enough bottle, or even a spare and it'll last a very long time. I don't have air lockers, but if I did, they would definitely be run on CO2.

The locker uses very little air. One article cites 2 sources at SEMA saying a 2.5 gallon tank will provide enough CO2 to dual ARBs for a summer of wheeling. Two 20oz tanks would be the equivalent. Break an airline, you may need to swap out a tank on the trail.

It's a moot point for me, I decided to order that mini-ARB air compressor (only a 6amp draw) and we'll just use CO2 for airing up tires and impact wrenches. It'll simplify the install and eliminate potential warranty issues. If that little compressor wasn't so cheap, I'd plumb in CO2. . .

I run both front and rear ARB's off of my 15lb CO2 and never had a problem. If you're not a 'tard and keep your tank full you won't ever have a problem. ARB's don't care what kind of pressure they're getting as long as its between 80ish-110ish psi, you're good. So, yeah, run the CO2. As someone said, the locker uses very little air, so if you're really worried about it, get a 9lb CO2 fire extinguisher and use it as your ARB supply. I hardly notice the ARB's run off of the tank though, so I guess its up to you.

XJ_ranger said:
competition vehicles run for 10 minutes maximum on a course and can head back to their pit for repairs of air lines or replacement of CO2 tanks in between courses...

I doubt you have that luxury on the trail...

Team Redbull runs atleast a full summer (or some suprising amount the actual number in on PBB somewhere) on their two bottles.

If you rip an airline your sorta screwed either way unless you have a on-trail repair kit. I carry an extra backup bottle and have a third I can take if I feel like it.

I'm running a single 20oz bottle with a 12oz backup for my one rear ARB. I did have it mounted down along the seat but once I mounted it upright it works perfectly.

And screw Powertank and those other expensive setups. I pieced mine together from paintball stuff but I found this a few months ago that would work pimp for ARB setups. And imo, this is a great price.

http://www.biondoracing.com/CO2Bottles.shtml

Back