• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ and OBDII

4wheelnfun

NAXJA Forum User
I've read several threads about OBDII on this forum.
I have a question.

According to one thread some 96 XJs will display codes by flashing the CEL after a "on-off-on-off-on-off-on" ignition sequence? My old Reliant did that.

I have a '96 XJ that was built later in the year with VIN build serial # in the 200K range.
I have an AutoEnginuity OBDII PC based reader/scanner/controller.
I is a relatively advanced unit that works well on all my other vehicles.
I hooked it to my XJ and it says it can not connect to the OBDII device.
I it possible that my XJ is OBDI ?
The CEL went on, just as I was pulling it into the garage to replace my cracked exhaust manifold.
Is there anything special I have to do to get the 96 to connect to my scanner?

If you were able to plug the OBD-II scanner lead into the vehicle, then it's OBD-II - the ChryCo OBD-I plug had a different form entirely.

The "cannot connect" thing would make me wonder tho - try installing your RTFM interface (RTFM = Read The Farkin' Manual) and see if there's anything you should know.

Note that OBD-II codes can take one of three formats...

Decimal: this is what you'd get if the CEL/MIL were to "flash out" a code for you.
Hexadecimal: this would be what a PC-based or palmtop-based scanner would get natively.
SAE Standard: this one is what you'd get out of a scan tool. It would take the form of "LETTER 0/1 xxx". The letter tells you the system, the "0" indicates an SAE standard code/1 indicates manufacturer-specific code, and the last three digits are the code itself.

A breakdown of OBD-I and OBD-II codes are on my website, in the Tech Archives. This listing is probably not quite compleat, but I've culled it from FSMs, so they should be correct.

Back