• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballast resistor bypass relay in '92?

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo Jeepers. I known by looking at the electric diagrams, there is a link between the Oxygensensor and the fuelpump relay.
But there is also a link to the ballast resistorbypass relay.
Where can I find this little bastard? Is it removed?
I do these research for a friend. After he had a short in the wire of the sensor and the fuelpumpfuse blow out.
When I connect the fuelpump relay pins #30 and87 the pump wil run ok.
Now the car is stalling, when iddling.:wave1:

I'm not positive for a 92, but for the earlier Cherokees, its on the drivers side fender next to the airbox. It's white ceramic, about 2" long, and about 3/8" square.

I just looked at my 93 FSM. The ballast resistor is on the upper edge of the left (drivers) fender near the brake master cylinder. There is also a ballast resistor relay hanging on a metal tab that also holds the coolant bottle.

Resistor.jpg

Not the best photo, but it'll point you there

ParadiseXJ said:
Resistor.jpg

Not the best photo, but it'll point you there

He's not looking for the ballast resistor. He's looking for the ballast resistor bypass relay, which is located on the other side next to the power distribution center.

bypass_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo Jeepers. Thanks for the info. I have got so many diagrams of jeeps at the moment. Every diagram is contradicting or a wrong buildingyear.
it is very confusing to figure out some electric problems by a Jeep.
Every time Jeep is using other colors and numbers for his wires. LOL:roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:
Back