• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3M Rubberized Undercoating

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but couldn't find my answer so I'm hoping you guys can. I just recently painted my JCR front bumper with a can of Rubberized Undercoating and it looks great...Im just wondering how durable it is and do I have to worry about it fading?

If it is prone to fading can I paint directly over it or should I remove it all and repaint the bumper with some Rustoleum Hammered Black?

Thanks for any info
Mike

It will fade, does it say paintable? I would have used wurth gravlgard or paintable rubberized rockerguard, and paint over it after. I have most of my jeep done in wurth gravlgard

tried and tested (wurth) on several things including my flares, stays flexible and doesn't flake or peel off had it on the flares over 1-1/2 yrs and on the body three months now

Last edited:
There is a great product out, its made by Duplicolor and its there urethane bed-liner coating, but it Drys very hard and has a great texture. I believe you can paint over it.

BigMike80 said:
I did a search but couldn't find my answer so I'm hoping you guys can. I just recently painted my JCR front bumper with a can of Rubberized Undercoating and it looks great...Im just wondering how durable it is and do I have to worry about it fading?

If it is prone to fading can I paint directly over it or should I remove it all and repaint the bumper with some Rustoleum Hammered Black?

Thanks for any info
Mike

The "undercoating" never fully hardends, so it will peel and scratch very easily. If I were you I would immediately remove it and start over. What you want is "truck bed liner"....not undercoating. If you paint over it it may still scratch very easily.
You should try to scratch it and see what it does. If you do need to remove it brake parts cleaner will do the job, or you can get "aircraft remover" in an aresol can and then blast it off with a pressure washer.

winkosmosis said:
I saw that stuff at Advance Auto today, but the Duplicolor rubberized stuff was only $3. Not sure if it's the same.
Its not the rubberized, its there spray bedliner. I think it was around 10.00 per can

Yeah, the 3M rubberized undercoating should be used for just that: undercoating. Use it under your rig. I have a bunch in my front wheelwells since I took out the fender liner and put in a pool noodle.

For anything exterior, you want the Duplicolor spray bedliner. I have some on my fenders and it looks and feels great. Dries to a very hard and slightly textured surface which would be great on a bumper. Not sure if I'm going to do my new bumper in the bedliner or just paint.

I read somewhere in a post here that the 3m Rubberized Undercoating can be removed with WD-40. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Mike

It did have some flat black spray paint on it and I just sanded it to rough up the surface and it took most of the black off down to the primer.

hmm

Back