• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have a locker???

Glacialbass

NAXJA Forum User
I know this seems like a ridiculous question, but I am asking just the same :dunno:

When on dirt (dirt parking lot), I can clearly spin both rear tires without a problem. I have not tried the same on pavement as I like my tires. However, when I get one of the rear wheels in the air when flexing, the wheel in the air just sits and spins where as the wheel on the ground remains still.

I started wondering if I have a locker enough to test it in the above fashion because when making turns and applying power, the inside wheel tends to chirp a bit.

Any help guys? I'll be opening the diff up this weekend to change the lube as I just bought the XJ, but I'd like to get an idea before then if possible.

Glacialbass said:
So why is it that both wheels spin in the dirt? All open diffs that I've had in the past would only spin one. *shrug*

Well, in the dirt you've got about the same resistance to spinning both tires. It may be that it's spinning one wheel a tiny bit, then the other, and back and forth really quickly, or maybe the spider gears aren't even moving....because you've got the same resistance on both tires. LS is a possibility....but not likely.

Have you looked in the glove box, at the build sheet (if you still have it), or on the axle tag??

What are the specs on your XJ?? What year, rear axle, etc?

Glacialbass said:
Aside from the tag that may/may not be on the axle, how can I tell if the diff is LSD equipped?

What jbjustin said, the build sheet, potentially a tag in the glove box, opening up the axle and looking, giving the dealer your VIN, etc....

Glacialbass said:
When on dirt (dirt parking lot), I can clearly spin both rear tires without a problem. I have not tried the same on pavement as I like my tires.

I started wondering if I have a locker enough to test it in the above fashion because when making turns and applying power, the inside wheel tends to chirp a bit.

Like stated above the reason you spin both in dirt is both tires have almost equal traction. The inside wheel chips because it is theone recieving all the power, because you have an open diff. The tire with the least amount of traction gets all the power with open.

I had a '85 Nissan 300ZX with an open diff and could leave two tire marks for about 5-10 feet then just one. And its differential was open.

I put the rear end up in the air and spun a tire. The other rotated the same direction, so I probably have an LSD. It's a 98 Sport, 8.25, NP231, 5spd.

Edit: I just went and looked in the glovebox. I had no idea that there would be a sticker there to tell me what I was already suspecting, factory LSD. Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:
Not all Limited Slip equipped Cherokees have a warning decal. The best way to determine if you do or don't have a Trac-Lok is to open the diff and look inside.

Open Diff on the left and Limited Slip on the right.

standard.jpg

There should be a tag on the diff stating "use limited slip tube only", but if someone has erviced it before, it could be missing.

I would say you don't have an LSD.

Try this: Raise and support the vehicle. Place trans in nuetral, spin one rear tire while watching the other. If they both spin the SAME direction, you have an LSD, if one fails to spin or spins the opposite direction, it's an open diff....

Gove box tag: (May not always be present!)
3024245_45_full.jpg

poorboy_616 said:
There should be a tag on the diff stating "use limited slip tube only", but if someone has erviced it before, it could be missing.

I would say you don't have an LSD.

Try this: Raise and support the vehicle. Place trans in nuetral, spin one rear tire while watching the other. If they both spin the SAME direction, you have an LSD, if one fails to spin or spins the opposite direction, it's an open diff....

Gove box tag: (May not always be present!)

Glacialbass said:
I put the rear end up in the air and spun a tire. The other rotated the same direction, so I probably have an LSD. It's a 98 Sport, 8.25, NP231, 5spd.

Edit: I just went and looked in the glovebox. I had no idea that there would be a sticker there to tell me what I was already suspecting, factory LSD. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back