• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What sort of power steering fluid to use on my '86 XJ?

Andx0r

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching, but every topic is about PS leaks!

I just replaced my pump. What kind of fluid should I use? Plain old PS fluid or some sort of ATF? My owner's manual says use some kind of AMC/Renault fluid, which got a chuckle out of me, but isn't helpful.

Normally I'd just look at the old fluid to see what to use, but all that came out of my pump was something I call 'black snotty grossness'.

Well, the new pump is just a reman OEM. The AMC fluid spec is '8993342'

A limited amount of Googling suggests that the AMC 8993342 spec and Mopar 5931 spec are the same.

Last edited:
My '85 went 23 years on whatever name brand was available off the shelf, e.g. Prestone. I don't know why power steering fluid should be any different from all the other miscellaneous fluids we stuff in our ancient technology XJs.

I've always used the same stuff I stuck in the transmission and transfer case - Dexron II/IIE/III ATF. I like to keep my supply trains simple.

Haven't had any trouble, and I honestly think it works a bit better (ATF has more detergents in it to keep the system clean, it's a slightly lighter base oil, and it's better as a hydraulic fluid anyhow.)

The oil people say Dextron will foam & cavitate, hydraulic fluid does't, or at least to a lesser extent. That being said I use Dextron in everything I own, except my leaky F-150 4x4. It doesn't leak nearly as bad with real power steering fluid. I have also mixed ATF with hydraulic oil with no problems.

I just used some cheapo power steering fluid.

I should probably flush/bleed the steering system and get all fresh stuff in there, but this will do for now.

I recently replaced the pump and steering box with PSC parts. The instructions said NOT to use Valoline SynPower power steering fluid.
They recommended using a full synthetic or a regular mineral oil power steering fluid and they also recommend a cooler and filter.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I'm not sure why they dislike SynPower but I figure they know a lot more about this than I ever will.
I bought a gallon jug of the regular power steering fluid at Napa.
I installed a small automatic trans cooler and added a filter in the low-pressure return line.
I have been using metal, 3/8" line fuel-filters for decades in my vehicles to filter the fluid. They only cost a few dollars, compared to the $20+ for specific power steering filters. When you cut them apart, they look the same inside.

Back