• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about gears NOT gearing

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to re-gear my Cherokee to 4.10's when I get my new tires, 265/70/16's, but my questions it about the gears in found in the back of the Essential (Quadratec) catalog. Are they any good? What kind are they? Is $219.00 a good price for gears?

Semper Fi said:
I'm going to re-gear my Cherokee to 4.10's when I get my new tires, 265/70/16's, but my questions it about the gears in found in the back of the Essential (Quadratec) catalog. Are they any good? Maybe...

Is $219.00 a good price for gears? NO!unless that includes new bearings, seals, shims,

come on guys, no one has any opinions about theses gears? Maybe I found something that you all have over looked, either way tell me what you think of them..

I normally figure around $200 for gears and an install kit.

I just got my D60 4.56's for $140, and they're just a lil bigger than your rear ones.

Check OK4WD (www.ok4wd.com) for what you're looking for, they have good products and pretty decent pricing as well. Depending on where you are in PA it might not even be very far from you.

if you have an auto gear deeper.

PM Rawbrown here on the board.

Join the club with the money you save.

HTH

well i paid 180 for my dana 30 gears and 80 bucks for a carrier, (you need a new carrier to take the deeper gears)

ok thanks guys I will keep shopping. Would it be best to get gears from junked Jeep that had a 4 banger in it?

Semper Fi said:
ok thanks guys I will keep shopping. Would it be best to get gears from junked Jeep that had a 4 banger in it?

Depends on what rear axle you have. If you have an 8.25" rear then no, because they didn't come with 4.10s.

You can find D30's with 4.10s, and if you go that route, you'll need the carrier also. But it's probably easier to swap the entire axle in.

i thought they did make 8.25s with 4.10, maybe im mistaken

however used gears are often not the best choice. once settled, they tend to retain a certain tread pattern, and the metal morphs to fit and work properly, when they are moved, it is nearly impossible to accurately match the old settings, so there will often be noise and may make them less reliable.

vetteboy said:
Depends on what rear axle you have. If you have an 8.25" rear then no, because they didn't come with 4.10s.

You can find D30's with 4.10s, and if you go that route, you'll need the carrier also. But it's probably easier to swap the entire axle in.

Not to be difficult but you CAN find 29 spline 8.25's geared 4.10 out of the factory. Rare but I've got one. Came out of a 1999 2WD with a tow package. Found it in a yard in Ohio when I lived in PA.

It's an oddball for sure but they do exist :lickout:

ok well then that kills that idea because I have the 8.25. So where would be the best place to start to shop for them and what kind of gears should I get? What all will I need to re-gear (parts) the Cherokee?

I too would drop rawbrown a PM. If i hadn't gotten lucky and found that axle it's what I would have done. As for parts obviously you need a R&P, but then just pick up a master install kit that will replace all the bearings (does the master install include a pinion/yoke seal?). Aside from that look at replacing the outter bearings and oil seals while you've got it all torn apart.

Where in PA are you? If you are in SW PA I can reccomend a great shop that did my D30 at a price that couldn't be beat.

well heres another option, regearing costs alot of money whether you have experinece or not, cause you prob need to buy the special tools or learn how to do it, but you might be able to do it cheaper and swap a ford 8.8 in with the 4.10s and mabe even a posi...... all u need to do is the perches, far cheaper and easier to do than gearing.. plus u get disc brakes and a stronger axle....

I'm from Lewisburg Pa it's more or less in the center of the state about an hour north/northeast of Harrisburg. I just found out today that I have to do something about my TC drop. I have the RE 3.5 inch, HD SYE and driveshaft, but when I had it put on, the guy that did it lift the TC drop on. Now I can't keep the Jeep in 4Lo. So I will have to get that fixed before I regear

I set up rear ends and I always use Randy's Ring and Pinion(YUKON)
1-800-347-1188
If set up correctly you will not have any problems with thier quality.

Set up is as critical as the quality of the gearset.

Back