• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Miler XJ legends?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if any of you guys had any stories about XJ's that were running around with 300k+ on them ect and what all has been replaced over that time period.. I have an '87 with 260k on it that needs rod bearings.. I haven't owned it long so I can't testify to the wrest..

My 88 is somewhere north of 300K (odo isn't working - gotta clean up from the AX-15 swap...) and the only engine "internal" work it's needed has been a rear main seal and a couple of valve cover gaskets. Bolt-ons have been a water pump, an alternator, and a starter (no P/S pump yet, and I removed the aircon when the compressor seized anyhow.)

Engine's just ducky - but I'm also going to renew all of the engine management sensors while I've got it downchecked anyhow (CA liked my last smog numbers - but I didn't.)

Edit - Forgot. I have been through four Peugeot BA-10/5 transmissions before I got the (internal) AX-15 that's in it now, and I've finally scored an (external) AX-15 that will be going into it next. But the engine itself is rock solid...

Last edited:
:patriot: My 87 4.0 has 255K & doesn't burn a drop of oil. The rear main seal is starting to leak but it's not bad. I've had to replace the water pump & alternator,TPS. idle control valve,distributor & coil module. That's it except for a radiator that I damaged myself. Of course it's had lots of chassis electrical problems & I've gone through the brakes but the drive train is still solid and original. It has the 242/AW4/D44 & it has been bullet proof. I've had two 95s with less miles but it's the one I'll always keep. I love my Renix Jeep. I replaced the ignition parts to cure the typical stalling problem but I think all I really needed was the coil module. This car thinks its a Volvo. It'll go another 250K if I keep it out of the woods. Oh yeah, I replaced the valve cover gasket twice in 250K.

My 99's got just about 270K Its a daily driver. It's gone through 2 water pumps, 1 harmonic balancer, 1 alternator and 1 dana 35. The frame is getting a little soft so next up are t&t stiffeners.

Aww man, I'm on the low end of the scale. JUST turned over 200,000 in my '97. It's my daily but spends most of its' time at the Airport parking lot. WOOHOO.

James

My 98 bough in december of 97 had over 330,000 mi on it when the #3 injector stuck open on a trip, it took #3 cylinder out but I still drove it home from philly 96 miles or so, on 5 cylinders, then out to the shop where they checked it out. The part that sucked was the other 5 cylinders were still high compression, #3 was none. I opted for a jasper remanufactured engine vs having the old one fixed which was a crap shoot after labor to pull the engine, head, etc. That engine only ever had ONE water pump that I replaced two months before it died, the original starter is still in it on the jasper engine. That one took, belts, one set of hoses, two sets of idlers, one fan clutch during it's life.
That engine also ran only Mobil-1 10w30 after the first 6,000mi. The XJ is around 400,000mi now, my daughter has it down in philly, I just had to replace the 5+ year old red top last sunday, she killed it totally dead one too many times.

My 97TJ has 177,000+ on it's 2.5L and still runs strong, no leaks, no oil burning. That one as taken one water pump, one radiator, one alternator, one starter, belts, idler pulleys, tires, brakes, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and a battery. I just did an R&R on the throttle body the other day, runs like new now.
I'm heading out to get my ears lowered and will be doing plugs, wires, cap and rotor this after noon, I might even start sanding the frame down and painting it today.

I had a 95 with 376k but sold it a few years ago to a buddy and he is still driving the crap out of it. The only thing I did to it was the water pump, starter and CPS. She puffed alittle smoke on startup when it sat all night but managed to pass emmision. I'll check but I think it has over 410k now.

I retired my 90 as my DD back in April with 225K on the ticker. I've put about 1,000 miles on it since then but it still runs like a top.

I hate to jinx myself here but I've yet to do any "internals" on it except the RMS. I've also babied the transmission since I got it at 165K. When it was my DD I regularly put 250 miles on it a week.

Other than bushings, springs, quick-discos, fender trimming, TRE's and a new HD tie rod I've done the following:
Water pump
Fan clutch
Oil filter Adapter o-rings (wasn't leaking, I just did it for good measure)
VC gasket (2)
Timing cover gasket
Cone filter intake
Replaced ALL vacuum lines
Closed to Open cooling
Radiator
Adj. LCA's
Motor mounts
Trans mount
Front hooks
Gas skid
Trac-bar upgrade
TC drop (3.5" lift)
Trans filter (drain n' fill)
HD trans cooler ('n gauge)
All u-joints
Gauge cluster swap
Front bumper upgrade
Slotted front discs...
...and a cup holder

I still want to do:

Another 2" of lift
SYE
4.10 gears
Front hubs
Upper control arms (adj)

Ran it over the river and through the woods last night and my buddy with a new Tacoma said "Jeez, this thing runs like a Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"

IIRC there's that kid in California that converted his '87 or '88 to electric power that was running around 400k when he did the conversion.

Can't remember where it was I read this, but there was one guy who had an early 4.0l Comanche that recently had the engine sieze at 77k, but was still on the original factory filled motor oil at the time!

I just bought one to part out that has 315K. Runs great, but I hate to think of selling the engine or t-case to anyone with that kind of mileage so I'll just scrap those parts. The AX15 was rebuilt 70K ago.... That's a keeper.

My trail rig just hit 274K. Has a little bit of piston slap and the clutch is shot from the old oil leak, but besides that is running strong!

YELLAHEEP said:
I just bought one to part out that has 315K. Runs great, but I hate to think of selling the engine or t-case to anyone with that kind of mileage so I'll just scrap those parts. The AX15 was rebuilt 70K ago.... That's a keeper.

Hold on to that motor for a rebuild, you can bore these 4.0 quite a bit before you run into issues and lets face it, they don't make this engine any more! Once they are all gone-thats it.

The T-case can easily be rebuilt for little or no money if it has no "catastrophic" failures.

My 99 is just a baby at 214k miles then. Nothing done to it besides tuneups and oil changes on dino oil. The a/c crapped out the other day though...and the rear end and xfer case is starting to make noise. Still returning 20mpg average too. I can't complain...

Im at 370K on my 91 original engine. 5spd works great, 4x4 works great, its just got some grumpy old man problems, but not much.

Back