• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

COnvert 2wd to 4wd, anything I am missing?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I concider my self very jeep savy and all, but just wondering if I am forgetting anything?

Converting a 2000 2wd 6cyl, auto. to 4wd. WHat all should I be expecting??

New front drive axle housing matched gearing and all that.
front driveshaft

now is where I am fuzzy

Tranny.. the 2000 auto. (AW4?). Will a 231 adapt to it? Or since its a 2wd I need to swap the tranny out for a 4wd (AW4?).

Then the next question is the TC shifter. are all the floor pans cut for them? and I just need to get the linkages and interior pivot type assembly from the wrecking yard? And then swap out the center console for a 4wd model one with the opening for the handle?

And last (so far that is) is, will I need to be concerned with Cali smog issues if I dont get the right this or that?

This is mostly being asked to see if its benifitial for me to pick up a super clean 2000 with very low mileage for 2K and then convert or to hold out for the right 4wd model and just pay the higher $. Its for my daughter and no big rush. I just dont want to open a Huge can o worms...

Anyone do the swap care to shed alot of light on it for me?

ROBERTK said:
Ok well I concider my self very jeep savy and all, but just wondering if I am forgetting anything?

Converting a 2000 2wd 6cyl, auto. to 4wd. WHat all should I be expecting??

New front drive axle housing matched gearing and all that.
front driveshaft

right on, but add a rear driveshaft and a shifter linkage for the tcase I would take the opportunity to get a new one from Novak

now is where I am fuzzy

Tranny.. the 2000 auto. (AW4?). Will a 231 adapt to it? Or since its a 2wd I need to swap the tranny out for a 4wd (AW4?).

you will need to swap the tailshaft out for a 4wd model

Then the next question is the TC shifter. are all the floor pans cut for them? and I just need to get the linkages and interior pivot type assembly from the wrecking yard? And then swap out the center console for a 4wd model one with the opening for the handle?

you already should have a plate over the hole in the floor if I am not mistaken, you will want the plate for the 4wd model. I do not remember if it is rivited to the floor or if it is attached differently, other than that just grab a new console, unless yours has a plastic cover snapped in place, the older models ran that route I dont remember the new one off hand.

And last (so far that is) is, will I need to be concerned with Cali smog issues if I dont get the right this or that?

I doubt it, but it is cali so who knows

This is mostly being asked to see if its benifitial for me to pick up a super clean 2000 with very low mileage for 2K and then convert or to hold out for the right 4wd model and just pay the higher $. Its for my daughter and no big rush. I just dont want to open a Huge can o worms...

it really depends on how much all those parts will run you. A used junkyard axle runs anywhere from $89 to $300 depending on where you go. Tcases have a similar range. The hardest part will be swapping out the transmission's tailshaft.

Anyone do the swap care to shed alot of light on it for me?

search too, I believe it has been covered a few times, I threw some basic answers in bold for you

i did the SAME exact thing to my 00' xj... you WILL need a 4wd aw4 tranny to swap in... u cant just change the tailshaft/cone out, unless you wanna rip apart your 2wd tranny and swap the 4wd shafts in(way cheaper and easier to just get a 97-01 4wd aw4 and swap!)o and any shifter linkage will work... i took mine from my buddies rolled 91' xj with a 242... and im runnin a 231!!!o and dont be discouraged it not that bad just takes time!!! hell my 2wd-4wd swap cost me a whoppin $400:)! beat that factory cost!!!

Yeah, I am doing the same thing. I have been tossing this idea around for years. It was this or buying a whole new XJ, which I could not afford. I have been gathering parts for quite sometime now. I got a AW4 w/ a 242 AMC tcase off a 88/89 (cannot remember), got a Dana 30HP from a 97, got a 8.25 from a 01 (already have a 8.25, however mine is the 27 spline variety. This one is 29 spline. Not to mention could not find a Dana 44). I got the front drive shaft with the Dana 30. The only thing driveline wise I need is a rear drive shaft, but that is going to be coming from Tom Woods w/ my SYE. I have rebuild kits for Dana 30, AW4, 242, 8.25, as well as new 4.56s. The only thing I need is my lockers. I am going with ARB in rear, and TrueTrac front. This is the biggest job I have ever taken on. It is gonig to fun and frustrating at the same time. I also have a RE 4.5 Super Flex w/ Leaf Springs for my lift.

Silent

Silent said:
Yeah, I am doing the same thing. I have been tossing this idea around for years. It was this or buying a whole new XJ, which I could not afford. I have been gathering parts for quite sometime now. I got a AW4 w/ a 242 AMC tcase off a 88/89 (cannot remember), got a Dana 30HP from a 97, got a 8.25 from a 01 (already have a 8.25, however mine is the 27 spline variety. This one is 29 spline. Not to mention could not find a Dana 44). I got the front drive shaft with the Dana 30. The only thing driveline wise I need is a rear drive shaft, but that is going to be coming from Tom Woods w/ my SYE. I have rebuild kits for Dana 30, AW4, 242, 8.25, as well as new 4.56s. The only thing I need is my lockers. I am going with ARB in rear, and TrueTrac front. This is the biggest job I have ever taken on. It is gonig to fun and frustrating at the same time. I also have a RE 4.5 Super Flex w/ Leaf Springs for my lift.

Silent
sounds like youve got quite the transformation in the works. take lots of pics and post up.

This is too funny, I was just searching the threads for a similar consideration!

Anyway, difference is, the one I'm looking at is a 2WD manual w/ AX15; everything above still the same (I would keep it manual)?

Also, would a 2001 231 drop right into a 99 2WD?

Thanks!

Back