• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me list up My dream ride... what do you think?

AboveNBeyond

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
OK so I am thinking about what I want to add to my build and what would be the best additions for it, My intentions are to use this post to be my build post, I will post up pics and step by's when possible...

Here is what I do know...
I want a daily driver trail rig for adventure fun. I have NO interest in climbing rocks, driving up a rocky dry river bed or climb some rock pile just to do it.
My ideal trip would be setting out with the family on what I call "fire roads", but basically dirt roads less travelled. Maybe to find a good swimming hole, ghost town, or just a picnic spot most never see.

OK so with that said I think this is my wish list, please read and tell me if you see needed additions and or subtractions...

I will add your suggestions from below to this list if it's something I want or need to add. :rtm:

I currently have...
1989 Cherokee Sport 2 door Automatic
3" Rancho lift (way to stiff), is it enough or should I go 4.5" while fixing the stiffness?
235/75x15, going bigger but not sure if 31", 32" or 33"? I never see myself going larger then 33"
Dana 30 front 35 back if my memory serves me correct??

**Performance add ons...
Open K&N air filter (removed factory airbox)
Flowmaster exhaust 2.5" engine to and 3" from muffler
1996 HO engine :scared:

Near future add ons...
Heavy duty bumpers
Winch
Sliders & skid plates (in case I do see larger rocks with my lower lift and smaller tires)
CB, & Ipod hookup to stereo

Possible future mods, do you think I should...
Axle upgrade
Minor 4 or 6 point roll cage

I would say that you should skip the open K&N air filter, it will make it easier to ingest water if you end up doing a water crossing. If you really want a K&N (there is some debate on here on just how good they are, I've never had problems with mine), just get a replacement panel filter for the stock airbox.

I don't think you'll need the upgraded exhaust, for the cost it won't do much for you performance wise.

Why do you want an OBDII HO engine? It'll be a huge pain to get the electronics hooked up, and you'll lose several MPG, for a marginal increase in HP. If you really want more power, just stroke the engine you've got.

You should definitely upgrade your rear axle, get a 29-spline 8.25 from a '97 or newer. Probably one of the most underestimated axles for an XJ. I've been really happy with mine.

I would recommend you upgrade your cooling system to the newer style, swap your brake booster and MC for a dual-diaphragm from a '95 or '96, and add rear disc brakes from a ZJ.

I've been happy with my 3" lift and 31" tires for fire roads and minor rocks, but I'll be upgrading to a 4.5" and 33"s soon since I do like rocks.

I also cannot overstate the amazing improvement in offroad performance you will gain from putting a locker in your D30. I went with Aussie, others prefer other brands. But definitely a great bang for the buck upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Daedalus454 said:
I would say that you should skip the open K&N air filter, it will make it easier to ingest water if you end up doing a water crossing. If you really want a K&N (there is some debate on here on just how good they are, I've never had problems with mine), just get a replacement panel filter for the stock airbox.

I don't think you'll need the upgraded exhaust, for the cost it won't do much for you performance wise.

Why do you want an OBDII HO engine? It'll be a huge pain to get the electronics hooked up, and you'll lose several MPG, for a marginal increase in HP. If you really want more power, just stroke the engine you've got.

The above I already have done, and I am sorry, I have a 1995 motor, OBD1 HO, and it is already installed and driving.

Daedalus454 said:
You should definitely upgrade your rear axle, get a 29-spline 8.25 from a '97 or newer. Probably one of the most underestimated axles for an XJ. I've been really happy with mine.

Its looking like I will, still not sure about what axles yet?

Daedalus454 said:
I would recommend you upgrade your cooling system to the newer style

Already done... newer open system from the 95 and an overflow tank installed.

Daedalus454 said:
swap your brake booster and MC for a dual-diaphragm from a '95 or '96, and add rear disc brakes from a ZJ.

Good Idea!

Daedalus454 said:
I've been happy with my 3" lift and 31" tires for fire roads and minor rocks, but I'll be upgrading to a 4.5" and 33"s soon since I do like rocks.

Nice, I think I will like the 31" too, maybe 32", the 33"s look cool but then I need to re-gear and for sure do an axle upgrade so I dunno... maybe when I do the axle upgrade I will lift it a bit more and put on 33"s??

Daedalus454 said:
I also cannot overstate the amazing improvement in offroad performance you will gain from putting a locker in your D30. I went with Aussie, others prefer other brands. But definitely a great bang for the buck upgrade.

Nice thank you!!

I plan to turn mine into a similar adventure type setup.

Somethings I have in mind are(or already done):

Cargo area storage for spare parts and tools to fix what I can while in the middle of nowhere.

Roof rack for whatever is needed w/ lights

Winch w/ front and rear bumpers for recovery.

Skids to cover everything I can, rather over protect it than break something.

Lockers front(selectable) and rear with chromo shafts all around.

3-4.5" suspension not sure where Ill settle or what tires.

CB and GPS

And more Im sure lol.

It sounds like you have a pretty decent build already...I'd say take what you have out and see what needs changing.

I for one would definatly get 31" tires, sliders, and a CB Radio (communicating with trail buddies).

I have a similar set-up, and couldnt see myself needing anymore to do even the most difficult "fireroads" since they arent usually very extreme. (But for the record, I plan to go bigger after I'm locked and loaded)

Muddy Beast said:
It sounds like you have a pretty decent build already...I'd say take what you have out and see what needs changing.

I know right now, either the springs or the shocks (both rancho) must be changed. My fillings are falling out. The little bumps just shake you to death. I am sure 31"s over the 235/75 which are practically car tires will help...

Muddy Beast said:
I for one would definatly get 31" tires, sliders, and a CB Radio (communicating with trail buddies).

Yup I already have my CB, and just picked up my welder yesterday so sliders and skid plate might be sooner then later. Bumpers too!!

31 x 10.50 tires make the most sense for a fire road type of jeep.
If you are going to swap axles, it might make sense to get an 8.8 from an Explorer - you can get it in 4.10 gearing, with disc brakes and a limited-slip straight from the junkyard. 4.10s are what you want for 31" tires.
The Old Man Emu 3" lift can be found at www.dpgoffroad.com and it is widely considered the best 3" lift on the market. You could also junkyard build a 3" lift inexpensively.
The master cylinder / booster from a WJ (99-04 Grand Cherokee) will be a huge upgrade, esp. if you add rear discs.

Tranfer case skid plate. Probably the only one you'll need, but damn - don't leave home without it.

yossarian19 said:
31 x 10.50 tires make the most sense for a fire road type of jeep.
If you are going to swap axles, it might make sense to get an 8.8 from an Explorer - you can get it in 4.10 gearing, with disc brakes and a limited-slip straight from the junkyard. 4.10s are what you want for 31" tires.
The Old Man Emu 3" lift can be found at www.dpgoffroad.com and it is widely considered the best 3" lift on the market. You could also junkyard build a 3" lift inexpensively.
The master cylinder / booster from a WJ (99-04 Grand Cherokee) will be a huge upgrade, esp. if you add rear discs.

Tranfer case skid plate. Probably the only one you'll need, but damn - don't leave home without it.

my thoughts exactly, something with 4.10s, OME lift, 31s and dead on with the brake booster. OME springs are very flexy and have great ride quality.

yossarian19 said:

I think that's what I'll do when it's axle upgrade time... I might just ride it till it breaks. I may never break it, who knows.

yossarian19 said:

I already have the 3" Rancho lift... it looks good and seems alright but it is a little stiff, but I do not know if it is the springs or the shocks or both, I posted another thread about it and it sounds like it could be both. I am thinking about pulling the shocks, see how stiff it rides then. I will atleast then know a little more about what might be causing the stiffness.

yossarian19 said:

I think I might do this sooner then later, it really doesn't seem like it has enough breaking power now :dunno:

Sounds about like what I want to do with my '89. I 'think' you have enough lift now. Before you change out the lift see if it's the shocks that are too stiff, also check the tire pressure.

Full factoty skids can be found at he junk yard, you might add a factory hitch and factory front tow points for recovery, make those sliders too.

2x on the 29 spline (late '96 and newer, look and count to be sure) 8.25 axle, do it now before you add a locker or break the D35 in the woods.

I have a PowerTrax lunch box locker in my 2 w.d. '96 and am suprised how good to works, but I can't 'pull' myself over rocks without 4 w.d.
Before you deceide about a front locker, do you have a 242 transfer case? If you do, do you ever want to use 'Full-Time' 4 w.d.? (search a bit for info.)

Lastly. If you haven't been out with a bunch of experienced off roaders, go with them and see what you can really do with what you have.

Back