• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual case time....

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
SO I've been thinking of going dual cases on my Mj... I have the wheelbase for it. But I got to thinking and can't really wrap my brain around how it works quite right. I've been trying to think of how you would have the cases shifted to work, and I think I've got it, but i wanna be sure.

Lets name the front case case #1, and the second case #2. Now since case #2 doesn't have a front output shaft, for 4wd and 2wd, you would leave case #2 in 2wd, correct?

So for 2Lo, it would be case #1 in 2wd, and case #2 in 4lo.
For 2Hi, it would be #1 in 2wd, #2 in 2wd.
For 4wd it would be case #1 in 4wd, and case #2 in 4wd or 2wd.
For 4Lo, it would be Case #1 in 4lo and case #2 in 2wd.
For the crawl ratio, it would be Case #1 in 4lo, and Case #2 in 4lo.

Do have this right?

I've found places that sell Joiners or whatever to connect 2 np231's together, and I'm thinkin about either makin my own or buyin one. I have lots of access to CNC machines and all that good stuff.

And to do all this, basically for the second Tcase, i have to oust the front drive output and find some way to cap it off, correct?

case #1 would be the one without th front output. the only reason to shift that case would be for crawl or 2wheel drive low. case #2 operates normally. case #1 is used for the doubling effect or 2lo only.
2hi-both cases in 2hi
2lo-front case lo, rear case 2hi
4hi-front case 2 or 4hi, rear case 4hi
4lo-front case 2 or 4hi, rear case 4lo
4reallylo- front case in lo and rear case in lo

I run a dana 300 as the second case so I can have front wheel drive high or low and the same for the rear. I only use the front case for low-low.

BRIANHO13 said:
I run a dana 300 as the second case so I can have front wheel drive high or low and the same for the rear. I only use the front case for low-low.

Yep, same here. It's a pretty fun setup to have.

omg that doubler is beautiful
i want one.
i need to find some writeups that do 231/231 doublers...

I've been looking at the 231 doubler, very interested to say the least. Here's what I wonder: I'm running the uber-low pinion 9" out back, on about 5-6" of lift, no sye. If I were to add in the front of a 231 case (the doubler as seen on Pirate), then change to a sye of some type, would I be able to retain my wheelbase or would I have to push the rear axle back a tad to keep the driveline happy? Also, anybody think the 231 would stand up to being doubled with say a max tire size of 35"s?

i know a few guys that ran the kit that duffy made on pirate. it worked fine.
IIRC it lengthens the driveline @8".
as far as pinion angle etc, it would need the perches rewelding, but no wheelbase stretch would be needed. if they fit in YJ's, then a xj would be fine.
i have a 4:1 klune going in my junk this winter, so basically the same thing. i scored a good deal on it used, or i would have gone the doubler route. another bonus is the ability to run 2 lo in the rear, with the front case in lo and the rear case in 2wd.

martin

I would not run the 231/231 combo. The 231 has enough weakness withought being behind a doubler. :) I run a 203/205 and if I had it to go over I'd probably run a 203/300 set up.

what kind of 203 are you running that mates up with your AW4? what spline count is your tranny output? I've got an extra np203 taking up room. . .

what kind of 203 are you running that mates up with your AW4? what spline count is your tranny output? I've got an extra np203 taking up room. . .

\Dodge 203 has a 23 spline input mates up to the aw-4 fine. You need to drill and tape the 6 bolt patern and makea .25 spacer. There is a thread in advanced fab of what all I had to do.

They run it with a 231 behind it or a 300?

most were 231/231, with 231c hd internals. never had a problem.
i know of one that runs a 231/300.
you can break anything if you try, but i think the 231 gets a bad wrap. i know, everyone and their brother has broke a case, and so on. but i have yet to see a 231 destroy itself when treated properly. i have zero issues with mine, which will probably be behind the klune, but i treat my junk well and fully skid it all underneath. i have a dana 300 in my shop which i was rebuilding for a guy before he changed his mind and backed out, so who knows.....

martin

Back