• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 4.0 VS. 96 4.0

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know if the spline count on the 88 and 96 4.0's output shaft are the same. I'm in the middle of a 4wd conversion on my comanche, and I'm thinkin I may have the wrong trans and T case.

I don't really understand the question. Are you asking about the tranny spline count? Auto, stick, which stick etc.

Yes. Well, The trans and T case is going into a 2wd Comanche, So that part doesn't matter. I already know that I need to swap trannys. Which is why I have a AW4 and 231 in the garage. I need to take the aw4 in my 88 'manche out and replace it with the AW4 out of the 96 cherokee if its posible.

I've never done it myself, but I don't see any major problems. The connectors to the tranny are likely different, the wiring may need some modification. The Speedometer will also be a problem.
The tone ring/flex plate is different, the CPS location and bolt holes are likely in the same position for both types. It's been done before, there should be some tips in search.
I have the schematics for both the 88 and 96 setup someplace if you need them.

I suspected that about the wiring, and figured I'd get my hands on a 231 with a cable type speedo also.

What would the flexplate have to do with it? Do you think its just worth it to get a trans/ t case from the same era? I can get my hands on a tranny/ t case from an 87 xj for a straight trade for my 96 tranny/t case.

85xj4dr said:
I suspected that about the wiring, and figured I'd get my hands on a 231 with a cable type speedo also.

What would the flexplate have to do with it? Do you think its just worth it to get a trans/ t case from the same era? I can get my hands on a tranny/ t case from an 87 xj for a straight trade for my 96 tranny/t case.

The flex plate is connected to the motor and obviously the right one for the 88 Renix sensor group. The 96 motor requires a different tone ring and CPS. Whether the CPS swap (to the early Renix type) is a simple bolt on (tranny bell housing) and exactly in the right position, I haven't a clue. Some simple measurements (or search) can likely answer this question. Seems more than a few people have swapped in later model tranny`s (or later model motors on early tranny's) and had a no start condition. But I sure haven't researched it much, never had the need myself.
Swapping in a 231 (early) with the cable, takes you right back to the spline count problem. My understanding is there are three basic types, more if you count 2 different spline counts, 2 different shaft lenghts??? and a slightly different adapter bolt pattern. Advance adapters did a pretty good job of explaining what fits, but they didn't make the research easy in the way they laid it out and put the answers in various sections (I had to cross reference a bunch). I haven't been on the site for awhile.
I'd try to swap in the tranny with the lowest mileage and later model, if I had a choice.
Word of advice, get yourself a binder and some separators, a highlighter, write everything down and/or use your printer. A little extra effort on this end can save a lot of grief.
I do mostly wiring, likely where I'd be the most help.

Back