• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need lift and rim to run 35x12.5

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy has an 01 XJ that is ONLY a trail rig, it does not see ANY street use at all (it has been lightly rolled). He currently has a 3.5 lift, and 31's, but got a hold of some 35X12.5 MTR's for cheap.

We are trying to figure out what is the LEAST amount of lift he needs to run the 35's, he is more than willing to cut.... even the rears into the welds.

What will be the best backspacing?

What width rim. No bead locks. (black steelies) 8" or 10"?

Thanks guys, the more opinions the better, ESPECIALLY if your speaking from experience!

Lift is the least of your issues. What are you doing for axles?

If he's looking to cut, he has more than enough mathmatical lift already. You need to deal with strong steering, strong trackbar, good control arms (no stock stuff), power steering cooler, proper gears, strong enough axles, etc.

And I'm talking about for a trail rig. No one cares if you sit on the side of the highway with a taco'd control arm or fried transmission - that only ruins your day and the tow truck drivers. When you bust on the trail its everyone elses problem.

cal said:
When you bust on the trail its everyone elses problem.

it would be nice if more people wheeled with that mentality.

a guy in my club runs 37's on 3 inches of lift.

IMG_6868.jpg

yea lift isn't what you should be worrying about. but if you need rims i got a set of 15x10" black american racing rims with 2" of bs. i was clearing 33x12.5" boggers w/o a problem. if you want em they're still all mounted and balanced.

DSCF0107.jpg

Friend of mine from here, XJ Matt. His rig sat at 5" with 35s, I think it may have been on 8" wide wheels. He ran Bushwhackers for a little while and they provided enough clearance for flex and whatnot.

i am running 35x12.50 bfg a/t on 15x10 rims with 3.5 inch lift with stock d35 rear. i dont think the A/T weigh much and i am running Aluminum rims so that helps to.

i say break out the cutting wheel and get to work
100_0987.jpg

100_0988.jpg

also we had to trim the seam out of the inner fender and reweld it flush. if u cant do that than i would go up another inch to clear it when flexing while turned

93_xj said:
a guy in my club runs 37's on 3 inches of lift.

IMG_6868.jpg

yeah but ktm racer's rig is nuts. my friend is buying his tires... what's he going to run now?

back to the topic at hand... any tire size can be run on any lift with the appropriate combination of bumpstopping and trimming. don't be afraid of the grinder and the BFH. they are your friends.:scottm:

Red97XJ said:
We are trying to figure out what is the LEAST amount of lift he needs to run the 35's, he is more than willing to cut.... even the rears into the welds.

X2 on what Cal said. 35's are more then lift and wheels. You need the drivetrain (axles, steering, unibody reinforcing, etc ) in order to handle it. Stock does not cut it any of these departments.

But to answer your question 8" width will be fine on a 12.5" width tire.

Be prepared to hack a lot out of the body for 3.5", but I'd recommend at least a 4.5" lift. That's not to say it can't be done on 3.5.

I run ~5" and 35's and it works great.

asp387 said:
yeah but ktm racer's rig is nuts. my friend is buying his tires... what's he going to run now?

square 36" tsl's

once i can afford another set of creepys and get a job that requires less driving, i shall purchase new creepys.

but back to the topic at hand

i run about 3.5" of lift

4.1" bumpstops in back with dpg bumpstop plates with 2 plates in. in the front i simply have 2 hockey pucks per side bolted to the coil perch. cut and folded trim job in the rear and the front just generic trimming that anyone else will do maybe a tad more for turning.

heres a couple better pics

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6515.jpg

mikedashg said:
X2 on what Cal said. 35's are more then lift and wheels. You need the drivetrain (axles, steering, unibody reinforcing, etc ) in order to handle it. Stock does not cut it any of these departments...

Well, a lot depends on how hard you plan to use it.

A 29 spline 8.25 (which is what I think he'll have on his 01) is almost as stong as my D44. That and my D30 with the 297s (which I'm sure he has) have held up to 35s for years.

But yes, an upgraded drag link and track bar are musts.

My unibody's been beat to hell for nearly twenty years, and its still holding together.

Don't forget gears. I run 456s, but wish I'd done 488s.

And don't bother with 10" rims, "Eight is enough."

Robert

Back