• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chopped Wiring Harness

Rockhound89

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guy that have chopped there wiring harness I mean the whole thing. I have an 89 MJ that is a 5 speed and I am going to an AW4. Plus put in an interior roll cage and I thought why I had most of it a part I would rewire the truck for the most part and put all the wiring that is under the hood under the dash for say. I all I want to keep is the stock head lights/tail lights and the turn singles. And what ever the motor and tranny need to run.

Does any one have a good link I no I am going to need a FSM I have a Haynes and there is a few wiring diagrams but I am looking for some good links.

Thanks

Watson

Rockhound89 said:
Hey guy that have chopped there wiring harness I mean the whole thing. I have an 89 MJ that is a 5 speed and I am going to an AW4. Plus put in an interior roll cage and I thought why I had most of it a part I would rewire the truck for the most part and put all the wiring that is under the hood under the dash for say. I all I want to keep is the stock head lights/tail lights and the turn singles. And what ever the motor and tranny need to run.

Does any one have a good link I no I am going to need a FSM I have a Haynes and there is a few wiring diagrams but I am looking for some good links.

Thanks

Watson
Watson,
You may want to look into getting one of BrettM's AW4 controllers. If you go that route, you would only have to do very minimal wiring since you would still shift it manually. I can't help you with stuffing the Renix rat's nest under the dash, that'd be a question for someone else. Good luck man!
-Collin

I did this to a Jeep a few years ago. I hooked everything up that I wanted functioning, made sure the Jeep ran and everything worked. So I knew every wire that I needed was hooked up. Then one at a time I found every wire and plug that was not hooked to something, and I knew this wire was not needed. I didn't need a wiring diagram, because it didn't matter what each wire did. If it wasn't hooked up I didn't need it, since everything workd. So I traced each loose wire to it's source and clipped it. Same thing with any wires that ended in plugs that were not plugged in to anything. I traced them all the way back and cut them. Periodically I started the Jeep and checked to make sure everything still worked, just in case. I ended up with very few wires that were easily loomed back up and tied out of the way. Take your time, it's a long and tedious process, but it's worth it to get rid of all that unused mess.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Watson,
You may want to look into getting one of BrettM's AW4 controllers. If you go that route, you would only have to do very minimal wiring since you would still shift it manually. I can't help you with stuffing the Renix rat's nest under the dash, that'd be a question for someone else. Good luck man!
-Collin

I have looked at Brett's set up and i may end up this way but i am not for sure yet.

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming

Back