• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Years??

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ which has the 8.25 out rear and would like to grab a set of 4.10 gears out a 4cyl XJ to stuff into the 8.25 and 30 out front. Does it matter what year the donor vehicle is? If so, which years would work with my 99?

I am not sure you will find the 8.25 with 4.10 gears. I have never seen one. All the rigs I have seen with 4.10's stock have been 4cyl, manual, 2wd jeeps, and they all had a D35 rear.

Any thing is possible though

southernrebel20 said:
I have a 99 XJ which has the 8.25 out rear and would like to grab a set of 4.10 gears out a 4cyl XJ to stuff into the 8.25 and 30 out front. Does it matter what year the donor vehicle is? If so, which years would work with my 99?
buy a complete set of axles and just swap them in.. all XJ axles will fit but shoot for a 91-newer front axle and swap your brakes and axle shafts over, and rear shoot for 96-newer. unless you absolutely NEED 4.10s and absolutely dont have enough $$ to do it right i'd advise against spending $$ on setting up used gears. used gears still need new install kits and bearings and set-up labor..
it's not "wrong" to do as you are suggesting but gears/axles arent a place i suggest saving a few $$ with used parts.

wolfpackjeeper said:
I am not sure you will find the 8.25 with 4.10 gears. I have never seen one. All the rigs I have seen with 4.10's stock have been 4cyl, manual, 2wd jeeps, and they all had a D35 rear.

Any thing is possible though

plenty of 4 cylinder 4wd Jeeps out there.

Try to find a set of axles out of a 95 or up with a 2.5 and manual transmission.They are rare but they are out there.And yes,8.25s did come with 4.10s.

sidriptide said:
plenty of 4 cylinder 4wd Jeeps out there.

Was not saying that there are not. But the only ones I have ever personally seen in the JY with 4.10's were RWD and a D35.

I am very aware that the 8.25 had 4.10 as an option with a 4cyl, but once again, I have never seen one in the JY so I cant attest that my uncle's friend billy joe saw some one time at a non mentioned yard

Yea, I posted that wrong, I want to buy the entire front and rear axles and swap them in. I wouldn't spend the money on setting up used gears. I just it costing me atleast $400 for a set of quality gears and since I have never set up gears before, between $400 and $600 to get them installed. I was hoping I could snag both axles for less mulla and go about it that way. So '96 and newer with the 4cyl and manual tranny? Would those be the same spline shafts as my '99 has?

Back