• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing motor mounts

markg

NAXJA Forum User
should i get something stronger than stock?i just noticed that the rubber is completely gone in the top of both sides!autozone has stock for 20 bux each but im wondering if i should upgrade.it looks like an easy install but do any of you have any tips?
91 chero w 4.0.

i run the M.O.R.E. bombproof poly mounts. Love 'em.

Just do one side at a time and don't tighten everything up until all the bolts are in place.

All depends on what you run. There are a lot of people who run bone stock mounts, and just plan on replacing them periodically.

There are others who'll spend the money, and replace the stock mounts with aftermarkets.

I've got a set of M.O.R.E bombproof rubber mounts. A little buzzy at idle, but fine with any throttle.

browndog offroad motormounts. same as MORE, half the price, and now available with rubber bushings!

Auto Zone mounts seem to have a bad reputation. My son got his there less than a year ago & they are bad already. A lot of the bad mount posts specificly mention Auto Zone. Mine are overpriced oem & they have lasted for years.

I've been happy with my more mounts, they were bad at first for vibes but feel like stock after a few thousand miles. and they actually keep my engine in one place

Is it ok to replace motor mounts with poly but leave the trans mounts rubber? I was told to keep the trans/motor the same and not to mix them...

Another vote for MORE rubber (torsion) mounts. Gottem on the current XJ, bought a set for the 25th Anniv Giveaway XJ, and will get a set for the next XJ.

iwannadie said:
Is it ok to replace motor mounts with poly but leave the trans mounts rubber? I was told to keep the trans/motor the same and not to mix them...

You'd be better off going with rubber all the way through (OEM rubber trans mount works fine with the MORE rubber block mounts)

With both the poly engine and poly trans mounts, the driveline torque control is fantastic. Great throttle response and minimal movement, even in super low range.

I don't really notice any excess vibration from it...but my XJ runs smooth as glass. Of course, it's also got rigid heims in every suspension component (no bushings anywhere), hard-mounted plastic seats, rolls on Interco squares, and I'm really happy with how it feels going down the road. YMMV.

i bought the autozone ones.they were 20 bux each and have a lifetime guarantee.i was pressed for time and only gat the driver side in .it was pretty easy with the airbox out.how the heck do you do the pass side?do you have to remove the oil filter and adapter on the engine?

sorry for not searching 1st...i was in a hurry to find out this morning!

after searching i see you do have to remove the filter and adapter.i think ill get the correct o rings 1st though before attempting this.

markg said:
sorry for not searching 1st...i was in a hurry to find out this morning!

after searching i see you do have to remove the filter and adapter.i think ill get the correct o rings 1st though before attempting this.

Get the Oring kit, its 3 in the kit and was like 5 bucks from the dealer. That filter adapter is fun one to deal with lol.

Early XJs have a hex-head bolt holding the adapter in (read - easier to remove and replace the adapter itself) You could also remove the centering hole itself on the adapter (the part the oil filter threads onto). I never tried it but I'm assuming it could work. When I bought a newer style adapter to flip mine, I took the old one apart and it threads out easily.

I think it would be a lot easier than removing the whole adapter and possibly introducing a new leak if you don't seat the o-rings properly.

Also, now's a good time to read about rotating the adapter (buy a new one or flip your original, I forget where the write-up was. Maybe madxj?)

You can then fit a Mobil 1 M301 or equivalent filter that allows you to hold an extra 1/2 quart of oil. Probably not much of a realistic gain but I like the piece of mind.

Hmm. I didn't have to remove the filter or adapter to do my motor mounts.

Mine is a right-angle adapter that points the filter towards the back of the vehicle. I dunno if that's stock or not but I never changed it in the 8 years I've owned it. Weird.

vetteboy said:
Hmm. I didn't have to remove the filter or adapter to do my motor mounts.

Mine is a right-angle adapter that points the filter towards the back of the vehicle. I dunno if that's stock or not but I never changed it in the 8 years I've owned it. Weird.

Yeah the older XJs have the vertical adapter (I think 92 and earlier maybe? I know my 92 and the 91 I had had vertical adapters). It poses a problem removing the long bolt from the mount. There are two ways to do it that I've confirmed either removing the oil filter adapter or removing the entire mount from the block.

thanks ....im off looking for the filter flip writeup now.

MoparManiac said:
Early XJs have a hex-head bolt holding the adapter in (read - easier to remove and replace the adapter itself) You could also remove the centering hole itself on the adapter (the part the oil filter threads onto). I never tried it but I'm assuming it could work. When I bought a newer style adapter to flip mine, I took the old one apart and it threads out easily.

I think it would be a lot easier than removing the whole adapter and possibly introducing a new leak if you don't seat the o-rings properly.

Also, now's a good time to read about rotating the adapter (buy a new one or flip your original, I forget where the write-up was. Maybe madxj?)

You can then fit a Mobil 1 M301 or equivalent filter that allows you to hold an extra 1/2 quart of oil. Probably not much of a realistic gain but I like the piece of mind.

Back