• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First time XJ owner needing diagnosis

mmkiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Incredible site, lots for this newb to absorb. Just picked up a '95 XJ 4 door last week. 130K, 4.0 , auto, too much tire (33" TSLs) for the 2" of lift it has and a fubar upper d/s door hinge (apparently a common problem from what I've gathered so far).

I tried googling this every way I could think of with no luck so here are the problems:

When you crank it, it will idle smoothly, drop it in gear and you better be feathering the throttle rapidly to get going or it will die. Once moving you're fine until it's time to stop/slow down, then you better bump it in neutral and feather the throttle again. My boss' uncle is a highly respected mechanic in my area and just 400' down the street from my work and is looking into it. So far he's determined that the distributor is worn out, has an excessive amount of play in the shaft. I had the local parts house drop off a new one but it didn't arrive until right at closing time so it's not stabbed yet. I'm hoping it will cure this issue. Any thoughts/experience with a problem of this nature?

When you turn the truck off and remove the key it continues to run like you've done nothing. Five seconds or so after turning off it finally quits. I was thinking it might be a bad ignition switch but I'm not so sure. Uncle says the fuel pump is shutting off but the ignition isn't and apparently burning the fuel in the lines until it's spent. With the new distributor in place he couldn't fully pin down the problem. Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Back