• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evap. coil change

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
Im changing the evap. coil on my 2001 cherokee, as you may or may not know, it is in the heater box which requires you to pull out the dash to gain access. The factory maint. manual says to pull out the steering column as part of the process. Does anyone know if it is possible to get away with just removing the 4 nuts holding it in and simply moving it down, then out of the way rather than completely pulling the whole thing out? Seems this would save some time. Or is it necessary to remove the whole assembly. Thanks for any help.

I removed mine completely the first time. Seems a bit unnecessary so when I go into the box again to change my leaky heater core, I'm just gonna unbolt the 4 bolts for the column, unbolt the dash completely, and swing it as out of the way as I can in order to pull the heater box out. I think it'll save a lot of time in the long run. It took me about an hour just to get the steering column lined up and bolted to the coupler, bolted to the bracket, all the wires hooked up and the airbag installed.

Thanks for the reply xjguy. Its starting to look that way, im doing it right now. I agree, I think pulling it all the way out is overkill. I havent removed the airbag or steering wheel as they tell you to, doesnt look like i need to. This is all on the 'pivot' side too, its the opposite side that has to swing out more. Thanks again. Anyone else with pointers, please jump in, thanks.

Lemme know how it goes and if you have any shortcuts to save time or hints. I gotta pull my dash/heater box again in a week or so to change my heater core out so if there's any way to save some time.......

Sounds good, we'll let ya know what happens. Stopping for the day, just got done disconnecting all the misc. wire harness connectors. I'll pick up tomorrow ready to unbolt and pull out the dash itself.

One of the owners here had a write up with pics. His first recommendation was remove BOTH front seats when you start, bag everything in baggies and label them, take pics so you know what bolts, nuts and connectors go where.

Back