• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a line on a 79' Bronco with HP44 front and 9" rear. It's geared with 3.55's and the 9" are 31 spline shafts. How much time and effort am I looking at for being able to install these into my XJ? I think he said they were radius arms. I would obviously have to re-gear and lock it aswell...I can get the whole vehicle for $500 and it runs and drives. I know it's a good deal, just don't know how much $$$ it will take to be able to use it.

You can use the search feature to see other posts about using these axles in an XJ, there is a lot of info regarding it. The D44/9" is a great axle combo for an XJ, both are stout and there is tons of gears/locker combinations available for both. The 9" shouldn't be a problem, the biggest complaint I hear is the low/offset pinion. With the length of an XJ's driveline and especially if you go with an SYE in your t-case and rotate it up, should be good to go. The D44 unfortunately has radius arms, as you're aware. From what I know, it's a pain in the ass to use these housings on a standard XJ coil-bucket set-up, as the raduius arm wedges are part of the casting. There was a guy recently here who made radius long-arms for an XJ with this axle, using the factory wedges and locating a coil bucket, search and you'll find his thread.

As far as cost, some of it is static, some of it depends on how much of the work you can do yourself. Gearsets are around $200 each, set-up kits about $100 each, so there's about $600 just in parts. Lockers range from about $250 for a lunchbox to $800 for an Ox selectable, tried and true Detroits are $5-600 each. Adapting the 9" for the rear leafs is fairly simple, adapting the D44 for the front more complex, as I stated above. Labor for setting up gears seems to run between $200-$400 per axle, depending on where you go and who you know.

Good luck researching, if it were me and I came across these axles so cheaply, I'd probably go for it.

It depends on what kinda suspension you want to run up front. Those radius arms are going to be attached with cast "wedges" that really get in the way. I'd pass unless you want to run a modified version of the radius arm setup that the axle is setup for now (search for Farmer Matt's old rig).

You can get those axles for well under $500... so it also just depends on what else you would use from the truck.

Billy

tnt can help you out, they make a truss system for that axle... basically cut the old off.... and weld on new brackets/truss that are designed to be ran on an xj

the hpd44 is highly sought after, so worst case scenario, you sell it for $300 or $400, (im sure it would move quickly) and be on your way

xcm said:
tnt can help you out, they make a truss system for that axle... basically cut the old off.... and weld on new brackets/truss that are designed to be ran on an xj

Wronggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they make a truss for the 44 but not that 44.As mentioned above the axles under all Ford 1/2 tons/Bronco in 78/79 used cast on wedges that can not be removed from the axle with out fully retubing the axle.They would be in the way of the TNT/Trex truss/bracket system.The axles are also weaker then the 44 found under 78/79 F350's/F250's or 73/77 1/2 tons/Broncos because of the cast on mounts.The tube does not pass through the cast section rather it stop just inside of the casting on each side.Also the tubes are thinner from what I remember.

Not a problem.Now that's not saying this style 44 can't be used.Many have with good success.I would rather stay away from it for the reason I pointed out though.It just as easy to find a 3/4 ton 44 that will be better for the job and will also come with flat top knuckles for doing high steer down the road.

Back