• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker or Rubicon Express BB???

rugbyxj53

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be doing a BB on my 95 XJ and I was stuck between two choices and they are as follows...

1) Skyjacker 2" BB with spacers, shackles and shocks ~ $280

2) Rubicon Express 2" BB with spacers, AAL and shocks ~ $260

Suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

-Doc

Well, with either one, your leaf packs are going to end up being shot. Especially if you are already sagging a little in the rear.

If you have brand new OEM leaf paks in the rear, then you might be ok....but if not, the longer shackles will eveually make your stock leaf packs frown....and the AAL of the RE pack will eventually wear out (because it is more heavily arched and/or a thicker leaf) due to taking the brunt of the weight of your jeep in the rear...

Is cost a limitation to you?

Thanks I appreciate your input...cost really isnt an issue, but I was just looking for something quick to do. I do have my eye on the RE 3.5" kit so more then likely i will go with that. I kinda made my decision not to long after i posted this lol I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and was looking for a project to do on mid-tour leave.

-Doc

Shackles and lift blocks make stock leaf spring packs sag in a big hurry. So will a short Add A Leaf. A full length Add A Leaf will work as long as your existing leaf springs are not flat or inverted. Coil spring spacers work great for the front and will not harm the coils in any way.

I have a RE full length AAL and an extra Cherokee leaf and it has lasted for 3+ years of 4x4 trips and cargo hauling.

SEARCH NAXJA and other Forums for budget boost or bastard pack for instructions on building your own leaf packs.

honestly, installing a bb and a 3.5 sf is practically the same... you still gotta do all the hard stuff, but at least with the sf 3.5, you have something to show..
also, the 3.5 is win. throw some monotubes at it, and you should be ready to go!

come home safe

save your money! thats a shit lift in every aspect possible, youll gain little if anything. I suggest you buy a 1000$ rubicon express 4.5" with full packs

I see nothing wrong with the BB as a startign point for mods.

If the lift fits your style of wheeling, go for it!!

My 87 XJ will be getting the RE 2" BB here in the future. It meets my needs for a little extra clearance for the deeper ruts on the beach sands and I can still get in with minimal troubles.....

emr1101 said:
save your money! thats a shit lift in every aspect possible, youll gain little if anything. I suggest you buy a 1000$ rubicon express 4.5" with full packs

Just curious as to why you would say that. Seems to me a BB is kinda hard to be "shit". After all it's a spacer and an add a leaf...kinda hard to mess that up.

The OP is talking about a completly different budget, considering that the RE 4.5" doesn't include shocks, another $200+, probably a SYE, and much bigger tires. So the BB costs about $300, the RE 4.5" about $2500 ($1000 lift, $200 shocks, $500 SYE & driveshaft, $600 tires, $200 misc).

Just a completely different subject, really.

I'd recommend the RE, but substitute a full-length AAL instead of the standard half-length version. The ride and springpack life will be that much better. I had the half-length in mine for a few years with BFG 30x9.50 ATs:

flex.jpg

That 'shit lift' as emr1101 so ineloquently called it, worked fine for me for quite awhile until I replaced it with a 4.5" RE6130.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thanks to everyone for your input on it all and it helped a lot...i prolly am going to be settling with RE 3.5 just for good measure and maybe an extra lift with a spacer and a shackle, trim it up and shove 33s under it and regear and lock it up...later everyone SUA SPONTE

-Doc

Back