• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap Q's (Searched)

jiipin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA homies,

I'm swapping a good AW4 Trans (from a '95) for my broke AW4 on my 1995 XJ. I'm with-it mechanically, but would like to know what seals or sensors or anything else I should replace while I've got all this junk apart and am doing the tranny swap.

At this point I'm thinking the filter/gasket on the tranny pan, the torque converter, the CPS while I'm in there, and other than that I would appreciate suggestions and any advice for this job (ie special tools, the difficult parts, etc.) Is there a write up anyone's found on doing this job? I've searched to no avail.

Thanks fellas,
Travis

Perhaps the front seal on the tranny. It's pretty cheap but a pain in the butt to replace if it goes bad. The real seal is pretty cheap too, but it's a lot easier to replace if needed. The filter is really just a fine mesh screen which can be rinsed out with carb cleaner.

When putting the t/c back onto the nose of the tranny make absolutely sure it's fully seated by rotating it around until it's all the way in. Failure to do so will break things when you bolt it back up. Inspect the flex place really well for cracks while you have it apart. Go easy on the oil pan screws as they strip the aluminum thread really easy. I think they only take 15 inch-lbs torque.

Get two long bolts with the heads cut off and slotted for a screwdriver. Put them in the two bellhousing bolt holes on either side. Then you can use those to help guide the tranny into place. Back out after you get the top bolts in and put the real bolts in.

Lawson, thanks for the tips. Good stuff. For the front seal on the tranny, does the torque converter have to come off to do that? ANything else?

Also, here's my plan of attack for removal, and if anyone can give input I'd really appreciate it:

1 - Remove driveshafts, drain trans
2 - loosen exhaust at down pipe?
2.5 - remove all peripheral attachments to tranny/TC
3 - remove crossmember, let driveline angle downward
*4 - Do I remove the TC and Tranny as one unit, or remove TC first then tranny?

I removed the t-case seperately. Much easier than trying to bench press them both at once, and it's only 6 bolts.

Oh yea you will need an external torx socket for the two top bolts, I forget what size but you'll need it on the end of about 3' of extensions to undo them.

Yes pull the converter and the seal will be right there.

Make 100% sure the converter is all the way seated when reinstalling. It's a pain to line it all up and have to pull it apart again to seat it when it won't bolt up all the way.

You might want a bottle jack under the rear of the engine pan, or at least a chunk of wood between the valve cover and firewall to limit how far the engine tilts.

Back