• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy Homebrew bracket to attach trimmed fender flares

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just put some new rubber under my rig and figured I ought to try and protect it as long as I can. The way things sat, full flex was gonna eat them up so I trimmed away. I didnt do anything differant with trimming, but I did end up making my own brackets that werent so flimsy and that would allow me to remount my front fender flares onto the flat part of the flare unlike the raised area that the stock bracket mounts to. I used 22 gauge steel and cut it with a cut off wheel. It does pretty much the same thing as the stock by using the small bent end to pinch down on the flares.

Each Peice was 1.25x3 inches. The small bend was made at .25 inches but you can tailor that how ever you want. Originally i just had the one bend with the hole through the fender and it worked great, but It didnt pinch down as hard as I had hoped. I started putting the two other bends on either end in to stiffen the whole bracket up. It did wonders. Depending on how you make it, your mounting location will change. I spot welded bolt to the bracket just to make it easier to install but it wasnt necessary. You could just as easily use a hex head and get up there with some pliers or a box wrench.

Heres some pics. Ill try and get some up of them installed. It makes for a very clean install. Right now im just using 3 brackets per side and the flares hold on like crazy. Its a much stronger mounting system than stock.

Heres some pics.

DSC07086.JPG

DSC07089.JPG

DSC07090.JPG

Good luck, hopefully this helps someone out

i've been thinking about doing something like this, and your design looks great! :thumbup:

Looks nice, I considered doing something similar, then just picked up some 1/4 inch nylon spacers from lowe's. They were cheap, and I didn't need to fab any new brackets. Also drilled out the bolts, and replaced everything with stainless steel so that I could get them out in the future if I needed.

IMG_1883.jpg

looks good. I was trying to think of something like that but I got busy or sidetracked but since you figured it out for me thats all good. C-ville huh thats cool I did not know anyone was that close.

Ha ha, its pretty close. Hows it bein on the other side of the tracks =)

I didnt want to use the stock brackets because of how easythey let the flares fall off. Ive also had to cut out and braze new bolts on to them waytoo often. This just seemed to be a simpler design that is every bit as effective. The nylon spacers really do seem to do the trick though. I hate that my first thought is to engineer some new way. Hey guys, I have this new invention, its called the wheel!!!!!! You should check it out.

jimmydaux said:
Ha ha, its pretty close. Hows it bein on the other side of the tracks =)

I didnt want to use the stock brackets because of how easythey let the flares fall off. Ive also had to cut out and braze new bolts on to them waytoo often. This just seemed to be a simpler design that is every bit as effective. The nylon spacers really do seem to do the trick though. I hate that my first thought is to engineer some new way. Hey guys, I have this new invention, its called the wheel!!!!!! You should check it out.

Trust me, the first thing I did was buy some aluminum strap to fab some new brackets. Then I decided it would be easier to use a cut-off wheel to take all of the old bolts off, and then drill them out. Actually was shopping for new bolts when I came across the spacers and saw the light. lol.

I've never had the flares fall off, the newer style must be a bit different design...

Back