• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring loaded hose clamp pliers

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I'm looking for a spring loaded hose clamp pliers, I'm trying to get my radiator hose back on and my vice grips just isn't cutting it.
41PCWTGFGBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've talked to a few auto parts places and nobody I can find has one for rent and its around 70 bucks to buy one which is way too much for my budget. If somebody has one, I'd be happy to pay them if they'd let me borrow it so I can get this crap taken care of and get my jeep back on the road.
Anybody?

The only thing I have ever used for those is a big set of adjustable pliers. Takes some more maneuvering but it gets it done. If you are trying for the lower, take the air box out and u should have plenty of room. Or just swap them out for normal screw type clamps.
Shawn

Slipjoints to take the thing off (or a Dremel, if you're replacing the hose anyhow.) Worm drive to put it back on - you shouldn't reuse hose clamps anyhow (putting new on every time is cheap insurance.)

New hose clamps will cost you a Hell of a lot less than $70, believe me! That's even for the really good fuel-line style clamps made of stainless. You might spend that much if you use a half-unobtainium alloy...

nightfoam said:
you're all so terribly helpful thanks SO MUCH

Hey - I told you exactly how I handle those rotten things. OEMs use them because they're cheap and not labour-intensive, not because they're actually reliable.

A quality worm drive clamp will not be "spring tempered" (meaning it can't "lose its spring,") and it will also be stainless (those stupid spring clamps are painted spring steel.) And, you need a "special tool" to remove them easily - Strike Three!

It's a dumb idea that some beancounter got out of some engineer in an effort to save two bucks a vehicle. Yeah - two bucks a vehicle can add up, but that doesn't make it any less of a dumb idea. The smart thing to do is to either crimp or cut the spring clamps off and replace them with worm drives, to be perfectly honest. In that case, there's no point in getting the "special tool" (which seems to be a one-trick pony - something else I don't like...) to remove them, when I know that regular pliers will serve handily.

Back