• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Isuzu D44 questions

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
I'm heading to the junk yard today to see if I can find anything for the XJ. I recently read a thread about the Isuzu D44 being a good swap candidate, and was wondering what I should look for? (I guess there are different widths and whatnot)

Also, how difficult would it be to turn the 6-on-5 1/2 lug pattern into a 5-on-5 1/2? (I read something about redrilling and then adaptors or something, but have no idea what is involved)

I'm thinking this could be a cost effective solution to my current situation. I'm on 32s now, but will be going to 33s soon and possibly 35s later on, so a D44 would be awesome (plus more aftermarket support). Also, my rear drums kind of suck at this point, so discs would be a big upgrade. On top of that, if I can find one with 4.56s in it I'd only have to get the D30 regeared... which would be a lot cheaper.

Check out the 5 threads at the bottom of this page!

The isuzu is a different width, I believe it is about an inch or so narrower. You asked about changing it from the 6 on 5 1/2 to 5 on 5 1/2, now you do realize that your stock bolt pattern on your XJ is 5 on 4 1/2 right? Youcan find companies that offer a wheel spacer/adapter that will change the 6 lug to the 5 on 4 1/2 and also help with the width differences. To the best of my knowledge, I dont think that the Isuzu D44 came with discs in the rear, but I could be wrong. You odds of finding one with 4.56's are pretty much non existant from what I have saerched on these things. There may be one out there some where, but probably very hard to find. If you looking for a factory rear end w/ discs, and strength, I would suggest looking into a ford 8.8 w/ discs out of a late 90's explorer. I have found them with 4.10's and limited slip from the factory and they have the same bolt patern as your XJ does. They are a fairly easy swap/install as well. that is my $.02

To straighten a few things out -- ALL Isuzu D44 rears will be disc, and the D44 started appearing in Rodeo's in 1994. There is a thread on here somewhere if you search that splits out the various widths by years, but they started narrower, and got wider, and IIRC vary from about 58.5 to 62 WMS x WMS. Mine is out of a 1995, and is 58.5" wide, any narrower and you couldn't get the new spring pads between the backing plates. Because the older ones are narrower, you likely need a spacer to keep your wheels out of the wells, so using a spacer adapter could be an option, and I am pretty sure if you search around on the net you will find someone who makes a 6 on 5.5. to 5 on 4.5 adapter (try performancewheel.com). HTH

Edit- the 4.56 axles are out there, but I think they are few and far between, and likely only on 4cyl rodeos with stock 31" tires. I have seen a lot of 4.30 geared models, and a good deal of 4.10 too (although there is no corresponding gear for an HP D30 for the 4.30's....)

One more edit -- not all 1994s and 1995s have the D44, some are "corporate 12" rearends. These are super stout (not the chevy corp 12 you may be used to), but have very little aftermarket support. They are easey to recognize as they have a large round rear cover, as opposed to the somewhat diamond shaped D44.

Last edited:
thanks for clearing that up xj-grin, I was unsure about the rear disc availability.

To re-affirm what xj-grin has already stated:

94 - 97 had disk brakes and have a WMS around ~58 - ~59 if I recall.

98 (new body style) also had disk brakes but were wider. Mine came out of '98 Honda Passport and is about 61.5" WMS to WMS.

As previously stated, I think you will find that most will have the 4.30 ratio and often with a limited slip.

Newer than that and they have coils buckets on the rear axle. In fact, the research I have done led me to believe that the new body style (starting in 98) brought with it coils in the rear. However, I can without a doubt confirm that I pulled a 44 out of a '98 with a new body style that had leaf springs.

Unless you plan on going with a 44 up front, you may want to simply consider an 8.8. Comparable in strength, has disks, correct width, and already the appropriate bolt pattern. Quality spacers are expense ($100 EACH here: http://www.adaptitusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=45) They also add two inches PER SIDE to your width. I suspect you could re-drill the shafts, but don't know for sure. Or, if your dead set on this axle, then pony up and have a pair of chromo axles made with the correct bolt pattern if possible.

If you are keeping the D30, then just do an 8.8 (my opinion).

Last edited:
HTeK said:
To re-affirm what xj-grin has already stated:

94 - 97 had disk brakes and have a WMS around ~58 - ~59 if I recall.

98 (new body style) also had disk brakes but were wider. Mine came out of '98 Honda Passport and is about 61.5" WMS to WMS.

As previously stated, I think you will find that most will have the 4.30 ratio and often with a limited slip.

Newer than that and they have coils buckets on the rear axle. In fact, the research I have done led me to believe that the new body style (starting in 98) brought with it coils in the rear. However, I can without a doubt confirm that I pulled a 44 out of a '98 with a new body style that had leaf springs.

Unless you plan on going with a 44 up front, you may want to simply consider an 8.8. Comparable in strength, has disks, correct width, and already the appropriate bold patter. Quality spacers are expense ($100 EACH here: http://www.adaptitusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=45) They also add two inches PER SIDE to your width. I suspect you could re-drill the shafts, but don't know for sure. Or, if your dead set on this axle, then pony up and have a pair of chromo axles made with the correct bolt pattern if possible.

If you are keeping the D30, then just do an 8.8 (my opinion).

I'm not sure I agree, if you find an Isuzu that is geared the way you want it to begin with... from another post I made on this subject yesterday:

xj-grin said:
Here in Colorado they can be found at the pick-n-pull for @ $100. You will likely need to replace seals and such ($40), and likely rotors as well ($300 - ouch!!) and calipers ($80), pads and shoes ($30). Weld on spring perches for $20 at the local 4x store, some minor mods to make your stock ebrake cables work with the integrated drum brakes, some RTV and 90 wight..... You could be in business for $600 or less... That is about what I have into my 4.30geared version, along with another $100 for an aussie locker.

You can pick up quality Billet aluminum spacers/adapters for @ $125 a pair, so the overal costs for a fresh, disc braked D44 aint all that bad. And, it won't be c-clip like an 8.8...

yeah, sorry for the typo on the bolt pattern. and thanks for the info, everyone. That JP Magazine article made it sound like the ones that came with 4.56s were plentiful... oh well.

I'm going to head out there in a little bit... who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

I'd do the 8.8 conversion, but that wouldn't make sense money wise for me. I'd still have to regear to 4.56s on top of doing the swap. Plus, I'm not really too worried about the strength of the 8.25 (I just thought that getting a D44 with 4.56s already in it plus discs was a better deal than just regearing the 8.25).

xj-grin said:
I'm not sure I agree, if you find an Isuzu that is geared the way you want it to begin with... from another post I made on this subject yesterday:

You can pick up quality Billet aluminum spacers/adapters for @ $125 a pair, so the overal costs for a fresh, disc braked D44 aint all that bad. And, it won't be c-clip like an 8.8...

Everyone is a little bit different, thats why I always clearly denote what is my opinion vs. fact.

This is always difficult to compare due to geography and availability. Here in Northern California, I will pay $175 (unless i get in on half price days!) for ANY axle. Doesn't matter if its a Dana 35 or an RCD60. For me, that negates the initial purchase price - they are the same. Obviously if you can find an axle that you DONT have to regear that may be the best choice for you.

Add on adapters (you state $125/pair, my 5 minutes worth or research couldn't find anywhere that could touch this).

Rebuild brakes (according to napaonline calipers are ROUGHLY ~40 cheaper for the exploder) On a side note, I felt that the price for rear calipers for the zuzu 44 sucked out loud. You mention "calipers $80". Around here thats $80 EACH.

Those costs alone will come close to offsetting the cost to regear. And I consider wheel adapters to be as much of a drawback as c-clips.

In your case, the 44 was the right choice because it was the affordable solution that offered you the most value. Also, as in my case the isuzu 44 was also the right choice because I went 6-lug up front as well.

More food for thought...

HTeK said:
Everyone is a little bit different, thats why I always clearly denote what is my opinion vs. fact.

This is always difficult to compare due to geography and availability. Here in Northern California, I will pay $175 (unless i get in on half price days!) for ANY axle. Doesn't matter if its a Dana 35 or an RCD60. For me, that negates the initial purchase price - they are the same. Obviously if you can find an axle that you DONT have to regear that may be the best choice for you.

Add on adapters (you state $125/pair, my 5 minutes worth or research couldn't find anywhere that could touch this).

Rebuild brakes (according to napaonline calipers are ROUGHLY ~40 cheaper for the exploder) On a side note, I felt that the price for rear calipers for the zuzu 44 sucked out loud. You mention "calipers $80". Around here thats $80 EACH.

Those costs alone will come close to offsetting the cost to regear. And I consider wheel adapters to be as much of a drawback as c-clips.

In your case, the 44 was the right choice because it was the affordable solution that offered you the most value. Also, as in my case the isuzu 44 was also the right choice because I went 6-lug up front as well.

More food for thought...

I totally agree with you, geography plays a role, and we all have opinions.

The axle I picked up was local, cheap, and geared right. I likewise got the spacers locally, although that was a couple years ago, so maybe prices are rising. You have the "each" price on the calipers right -- my bad, and yeah, those and the rotors are EXTORTION expensive. That said, they work really well, and the ebrake seems to stay in adjustment well (I am sure that is also true with exploder outers -- stay away from caddy calipers if you look at other options, though!).

Ditto on the 6 lug front too - I am running a Waggy front, 6 lug, which I geared 4.30 to match my rear...

Here in Colorado, the difference is the general $350 price tag on XJ D44's and Explorer 8.8's v. $100 bucks for an axle most junkyards don't think is worth the space they take -- with any of the 3 you should be able to wheel fairly stress free on 33-35" tires, which was my whole point in swapping. Cheers!:yelclap:

i just regeared my xj for 150 bucks... i took 4.10's from the back of a isuzu rodeo with a d44 and the fronts out of a comanche with a d30 to match (the rear was already gone). the d30 was a straight swap in and out. the d44 from the rodeo was pretty close too...i had to take the pinion down to a differential shop and have them remove the shim from behind the bearing but other than that it was a straight in and out job...works perfectly.. and i didnt hafta worry about the whole assembly. just make sure the gears are are in good shape before you take them.

Isuzu Axles

Rodeos had D44's. Up to 95 they were ~59" wide, 96-97 they were the slightly wider ~61" (leaf springs) All disc brakes (except some 2wd's), with 4.10, 4.30, and 4.56 gears. Mostly 4.10 and 4.30 though. They also used the 3.93 and down carrier with a thicker ring gear.

Warning: 2wd's and early rodeos with GM V6's also had the worthless GM 10-bolt rearend (drum brakes only)

Amigo's, Rodeos (and Axioms) 98+ D44's are 63" wide (rear coil sprung Rodeo/Amigos) available ratios are a rare 4.77 in 4cyl 4x4's, 4.30 in V6 Manuals, and 4.10's in the V6 Autos.

The Isuzu corporate 12 bolt is easy to identify, it is drop out 3rd member style axle like a ford 9". It came with primarily 4.56's, with a few 4.30's and the rare/weird 4.77 thrown in. These axles all had disc brakes, ~58" in '88-94 Troopers, Amigos, and Pickups (except the Gm built Hombre's). 95-97 Troopers and all of the Vehicross' are 62". These axles have a 8.8" ring gear and 1.3" axle shafts. There was a limited run of 5.38's done, a few are still available I believe. Also lockers are available from ARB, and Aussie.

The 98+ Troopers also have whats called a 12 bolt with a catch. Its massive, ~9.5" ring gear, axle shafts ~1.5 thick but the only gears are 4.30, an Icelandic company used to offer 5.38's but I don't know if they still do. ARB is the only locker option. Oh its either 62 or 63" wide, Don't remember for certain.

-Mike

dumpster said:
Isuzu Axles

Rodeos had D44's. Up to 95 they were ~59" wide, 96-97 they were the slightly wider ~61" (leaf springs) All disc brakes (except some 2wd's), with 4.10, 4.30, and 4.56 gears. Mostly 4.10 and 4.30 though. They also used the 3.93 and down carrier with a thicker ring gear.

Warning: 2wd's and early rodeos with GM V6's also had the worthless GM 10-bolt rearend (drum brakes only)

Amigo's, Rodeos (and Axioms) 98+ D44's are 63" wide (rear coil sprung Rodeo/Amigos) available ratios are a rare 4.77 in 4cyl 4x4's, 4.30 in V6 Manuals, and 4.10's in the V6 Autos.

The Isuzu corporate 12 bolt is easy to identify, it is drop out 3rd member style axle like a ford 9". It came with primarily 4.56's, with a few 4.30's and the rare/weird 4.77 thrown in. These axles all had disc brakes, ~58" in '88-94 Troopers, Amigos, and Pickups (except the Gm built Hombre's). 95-97 Troopers and all of the Vehicross' are 62". These axles have a 8.8" ring gear and 1.3" axle shafts. There was a limited run of 5.38's done, a few are still available I believe. Also lockers are available from ARB, and Aussie.

The 98+ Troopers also have whats called a 12 bolt with a catch. Its massive, ~9.5" ring gear, axle shafts ~1.5 thick but the only gears are 4.30, an Icelandic company used to offer 5.38's but I don't know if they still do. ARB is the only locker option. Oh its either 62 or 63" wide, Don't remember for certain.

-Mike

Wow great info... thanks!

Anybody know if the Isuzu Corporate 12 Bolt is a difficult swap? Seems like it would be about the same as a D44 from a Rodeo/Passport... Or am I mistaken?

btfury said:
Wow great info... thanks!

Anybody know if the Isuzu Corporate 12 Bolt is a difficult swap? Seems like it would be about the same as a D44 from a Rodeo/Passport... Or am I mistaken?
Everything I've found states they're all very simple straight forward swaps, the only tricky parts to the 12 bolt is it only supports an ARB locker and there's only a few model years with the appropriate width.

Wm

does anyone know if my current driveshaft setup would work or what I would need to do? I'm currently running a stock front DS in the rear with my 8.25 rear axle...

btfury said:
does anyone know if my current driveshaft setup would work or what I would need to do? I'm currently running a stock front DS in the rear with my 8.25 rear axle...

At a minimum, you will need to swap out the Isuzu flange-style pinion yoke for one that will accept a 1310 U-joint. Any old D44 yoke will do, but get one with ubolts instead of caps, much sturdier.

Anyone look at taking the disc brakes off of these (or a Rodeo or anything) for use on an XJ D44?

Is the flange bolt pattern on the housing the same?

Just another idea...

Back