• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Self adjusters not self-adjusting

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all, I've got a '92 with an 8 1/4" axle and new pads. I had the drums off yesterday and I can adjust them by hand, but I couldn't see why they aren't self-adjusting.

I can post a pic if required, but I was hopin someone would have an idea to start with.

Not sure if it is true, but I was always told that drum brake self adjust only when driving backwards and then applying the brakes.

In fact, you could find an empty parking lot somewhere...drive backwards...get some speed...then firmly apply the brakes...off and on...

First of all, even when they're working they're a piece of ****.

The official procedure does not call for only reverse stops, but the FSM does point out that the adjusters will only operate if you bring the vehicle to a full stop, not a rolling stop. After brake work, you're supposed to do 8 to 10 cycles of back and forth full stops.

Check that the crescent-shaped cable guide that presses into the trailing shoe is properly seated in its hole. It just sets in there, and the spring sort of holds it in place, but if it isn't seated right the spring will just as happily hold it out of place, causing the cable to have too much slack. When it's set up properly, the pawl should be resting right on the star wheel of the adjuster.

Make sure the adjusters are for the correct side, and installed right way around so they don't unadjust instead of adjusting. If the parts are old check that the edge of the pawl is not worn round, and that the teeth of the adjuster are not worn, blunted or clogged with junk.

Finally, since they may never work all that well, and often don't adjust consistently on both sides at the same time, I'd suggest that you periodically adjust them by hand anyway if you really want them to work right.

OK, I'm sure everything is in as good of shape as it can be for 120K miles, maybe I should just bump up converting over to disk brakes. And a booster. Maybe hydroboost if I get to a junkyard sometime soon.

Back