• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential Carrier Bearings

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone replaced these in the garage? Last time I had a diff go was on a one ton truck, cost me $600, but that was fifteen years ago.

My thought (idea...) is to pull the carrier, replace the bearings and reassemble it with the same spacers that came out of it, put back in just like they were. It's the front axle we're talking about, I think I've narrowed down the noise to the diff.

Bottom line, I want to try a swap out of bearings without going thru the setup again. The pinion seems fine, seal doesn't leak, etc.

Whatch'all think??

Mark

mfascuba said:
Anyone replaced these in the garage? Last time I had a diff go was on a one ton truck, cost me $600, but that was fifteen years ago.

My thought (idea...) is to pull the carrier, replace the bearings and reassemble it with the same spacers that came out of it, put back in just like they were. It's the front axle we're talking about, I think I've narrowed down the noise to the diff.

Bottom line, I want to try a swap out of bearings without going thru the setup again. The pinion seems fine, seal doesn't leak, etc.

Whatch'all think??

Mark

I've done it - D35 non-C. Wasn't that big of a problem (did it on the side of the street, wasn't even in a garage.)

Getting the carrier in and out was the biggest PITA of the deal (a case spreader would have made things much easier!) but it's doable.

IntrepidXJ said:
i've done it in my garage....but i have a 20-ton press in my garage.

True. I've got a one-foot G-clamp and a selection of plate and bar stock around here. Taking them off was easy - cut most of the way through with a Dremel (you shouldn't need to go all the way through on a press-fit - you'll hear a "pop!" when you're just about there. That's the bearing inner race letting go...)

You don't need a 20-ton to get the job done, but you do need some variety of press, large G-clamp, or a large bench vise...

I've done it, worked out fine for me. Pry up on the carrier and check for movement, make sure it isn't the pinion bearings.
Initial setup is kind of a waste of time IMO with a used gear set. They wear in to a certain spot and it's best to get them back in as near as possible to the original position, even if it is a little off the ideal.
I always check when I'm done though, just to make sure I'm not way off.
The last time I cut the old bearings out with an angle grinder (takes a steady hand). And pounded the new ones in with a hammer and a piece of soft pipe, I was careful to only pound on the center part of the bearing. The shop was closed and I couldn't get to a press, a press is preferable.
I also replaced the thrust washers for the spider gears. They were pretty worn.
Thankfully the pinion bearings seemed fine.

Last edited:
Back