• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5 " lift piece together what do i need??

bigdamnyj

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought 6.5"s leafs, 6.5 " coils , lower control arms.. this is going to be a short arm kit, and need to keep it as cheap as possible

other than a drop pitman arm, and drop t-case bracket and shocks,, what else do i need??

does the abs cable have enough play to accept 6.5"s

i also need a new track bar .. ive seen just the adjustable and ive seen an adjustable with a new drop bracket. whats the best way to go for my application??

also i will not be installing a SYE...

If I were you, get the adjustable bracket and TB. But then again if I were you, I would not be considering lifting an XJ over 3.5" without an SYE. But if you are intent on doing that, carry an 8mm wrench with you so you can put the rear d-line back on the slip yolk when it falls off. Thats assuming you're not going 60 and the DL doesn't get folded in half....

just my .02

bare minimum you NEED...

tc drop (HIGHLY suggest sye)
coils
leafs
brake lines
control arms (uppers and lowers)
adj tracbar
shocks
you are probably gonna have to do something with your steering in the near future also.

for my lift ive got
5 inch dpg coils with adjustable spacers
4.5 inch leafs 2 inch shackle
brake lines
rk3link
HD trackbar bracket and HD trackbar
bilstein shocks
sye
not sure what steering im gonna run yet

Last edited:
how bout you wait till you get the proper parts instaed of half assing it? short arms and no sye at 6+?

I'm running 2.5" and I REALLY wish I had a SYE. I also notice the difference in ride quality due to castor / control arm angles.

Dude, you'll regret doing it half-ass. Save the cash and be happy with your rig after doing it right. You won't really dig 6.5" of lift + (whatever tires) if it handles drives rides and wheels like ass.

bigdamnyj said:
what else do i need??

A clue.

In the best case scenario, your jeep is going to be so undriveable you end up sitting on the side of the road wishing you had spare underwear.

In the worst case, there was a family between you and whatever you plowed in to.

Go look at the build sheet for a Rubicon Express 5.5" lift kit.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2024&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=CFC83B7161138

Rubicon Express said:
RE1141 ~ GEN2 DISCONNECTS 2"-3.5" TJ
RE1345 ~ COIL SPRINGS XJ-5.5 / ZJ-4.
RE1383 ~ BUMPSTOPS 3" FRONT LOWER
RE1462 ~ LEAF SPRING XJ 4.5" W/BUSHING
RE1515 ~ BRAKE LINE SS REAR 18"
RE1550 ~ BRAKE LINE SET SS FRONT 22"
RE1660 ~ TRACK BAR, XJ/ZJ EXTREME-DUTY
RE1665 ~ TRACK BAR BRACKET, HD XJ/ZJ
RE2120 ~ T-CASE LOWERING KIT XJ/ZJ 3/4"
RE2421 ~ U-BOLT KIT M35 REAR, YJ / XJ 2
RE2700 ~ SHACKLE XJ REAR 5"
RE3700 ~ CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER FIXED
RE3781 ~ CONTROL ARM SR2 UPPER FRONT FIXED
RE9900 ~ XJ CONTROL ARM DROP BRACKETS
RE9905 ~ SUPPORT BRACES FOR RE9900
RE9921 ~ SWAY BAR RELOCATION BRACKETS

That is whats required to do it barey bottom safely, but add SYE, axle upgrades, gears, transmission cooler, tires, steering upgrade.

I'm not saying you have to go RE, or that their stuff is even the best, but they do publish a good list. EVERY ITEM ON THAT LIST IS REQUIRED, or believe me, it would not be there. Look at each item, figure out what it does, and then ask 5 other people what they think it does.

If you have not addressed each and every function, you are not ready to be lifted over ~3 inches.

I have the complete 5.5" RE kit listed above and it has allowed me to get by without a SYE (on a '99 even) for the past six years. It still hums at certain speeds and I worry it's going to break one of these days. That's what I would call half-assing it. Your incomplete 6.5" is really just asking for trouble.:shocked:

(I'll be ordering my SYE and new drive shaft next week...)

ok thanks for the info.. I had a 95 with 6" short arm no SYE and i had no vibes and i wheeled the crap out of her. also drove to Paragon once a month. which is 80 miles one way. never had a problem. but hey thats my 02 cents. but you all our right why half asse it. i have never done an SYE but i will be looking into it thanks.

here is my list for my 6.5" lift. its a longarm kit so its slightly different...but you can use it to compare what you are doing

liftkitcosts.jpg

bigdamnyj said:
ok thanks for the info.. I had a 95 with 6" short arm no SYE and i had no vibes and i wheeled the crap out of her. also drove to Paragon once a month. which is 80 miles one way. never had a problem. but hey thats my 02 cents. but you all our right why half asse it. i have never done an SYE but i will be looking into it thanks.

What tires will you be running? Don't forget gears. Better yet, since you have ABS, you must be running a Dana 35 in the rear, which will be a weak point, especially if you go with 35" tires, which I am assuming is why you want a 6.5" lift.

You might want to factor in a nice purty matching set of Dana 44's, beefier diff covers, upgraded disk brakes on all corners, and a sticker or two.

bigdamnyj said:

Prove it, until then I am calling bullshit:bs:

bigdamnyj said:
i just bought 6.5"s leafs, 6.5 " coils , lower control arms.. this is going to be a short arm kit, and need to keep it as cheap as possible

other than a drop pitman arm, and drop t-case bracket and shocks,, what else do i need??

does the abs cable have enough play to accept 6.5"s

i also need a new track bar .. ive seen just the adjustable and ive seen an adjustable with a new drop bracket. whats the best way to go for my application??

also i will not be installing a SYE...

you might be okay without an SYE if its an older one, but if its like '96 + or 97' + then your not going to be liking this lift that much

If your running short arms with a 6.5" you might want to run some drop brackets. Nicer ride quality. Good luck and never hafe a$$...not safe in most cases.

Back