• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Question...

96XJinMO

NAXJA Forum User
XJ Gurus:

OK, I have dug through the posts using Search, and can't find anything about towing with factory springs and helper springs...

I am wanting to tow a 12 ft. outboard boat my father gave me, and am concerned because the rear leafs are sagged pretty bad (1996 XJ w/ 176,000 miles.)

SO, I went to the auto parts store and they have a set of helper springs that bolt over the factory spring pack for $30.

Will this help keep me off the bumpstops? (I just installed the 4 inch extended ones because I plan to lift the rear in the next year or so when funds are available.)

Thanks for any info you can give...

96XJinMO

as long as the load is balanced on the trailer you should be fine. A 12ft boat is not really that much weight unless it is all unbalanced and sitting on the tongue. You may get a good bump here and there and cause it to bottom out the rear of your XJ, but you really should be fine.

Back