• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

abs to non abs axle swap

wacho4

NAXJA Forum User
searched a little but nothing came up easily so if you can direct me to a thread than so much the better.

Ok fiance's old xj(96) has a 29 spline 8.25 that I have rear discs on. New xj (2001)has a 35 with abs and about 31" tires. As you can guess I'm already nervous about this. Whats the best way to swap them and fool the computer so it won't throw a light. Also thinking about swapping the hp 30 over in the future, unless i can find an abs hp 30 for cheap or just disable entire abs system.

The ABS tone rings are usually just presses on to the axle shaft.

A brass drift and a hammer should pop it off, then you can press it back on using the hammer/drift again.

How much lift do you have on your '01? I just posted a thread last week and a lot of the people responding to me where telling me that the D35 should work with 30" or 31" with about 2"-3.5" of lift...depending on what I do off road.

I'm assuming that you are afraid of the "weak" rear axle because of the lift.

I decided that I will keep my D35, and see how it goes for now...since I'm not taking mine off road every weekend as it is more for my DD.

Cherokee Chry 8.25 never had ABS.

If you swap one into an ABS equipped Cherokee, you have to disable the ABS. Modifying an 8.25 for ABS is difficult and expensive.

Simply remove the ABS relay and fuses and you are good.

The D35 will explode sooner or later if you take it off-road.

Last edited:
you can build a D44 with ZJ disk brakes and ABS.

I wheel a D35 with a Detroit and 31's on a 4.5" lift and haven't broken yet. (but i am also building the D44 listed above)

Having done this exact swap, here is the post I did about it with some pics.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940577

The biggest problem you will run into is not being able to cycle the ABS pump to blead it correctly. You "might" get away with it if you don't let all the fluid drain from the master cylinder so no air gets into the pump. If you do, you're SOL.

I removed my entire system and haven't looked back.

How long the D35 lives depends entirely on how much you use the stupid pedal. I am gentle with it, using only as much as I have to when off road. On my old MJ I never had a problem in 2 and a half years with 33s on the same trails as my buddy, who drove it like he stole it, broke his running 32.

That being said, on my XJ with the D35 I'll be going to a D44 when I regear. I got lucky and found an XJ D44 at the local JY.

I need not find a D44.....

MIne came with one......

As for the ABS, conversion to non ABS can be done.

In some cases, the non ABS booster, M/C and proportining valve all need to be swapped in. Plus you would need to make new lines from the M/C to the prop valve, then connect them to the rest of the system.....

sinewave said:
tomcat - how long have you been running that set up for? What's your gear ratio?
that setup since Aug '07. wheeled once with 3.55's, added ARB in the front and 4.10's 2 wheeling trips ago.

I beat the snot out of it on the street, and am much nicer to it in the woods. we wheel with a lot of mud and rocks (Rausch Creek, PA) low tire pressure, 4 low, and a locker will let you just about idle over everything

Back