• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Coil Spring ? Should there be a rubber spring isolator?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to track down this popping noise in the front end of my '96 XJ for a LONG time now. The last few weeks it appears to be getting worse. There is normally a nice pop or clunck sound that comes f/the drivers side front... I can (what feels like) feel it under my feet when it happens. It seems to be more prominant after the XJ sits overnight or in the parking lot all day at work. On turns mainly.. there is a pop f/the front drivers side.

I was thinking back to my days wrenching on Mustangs and the multiple suspensions I've changed out and the front (and rear) coil springs had rubber spring isolators that kept the steel spring f/ rubbing on the steel frame. I noticed this past weekend when looking under my Jeep (yet again to try and figure this thing out) that the springs did not have any type of isolator on the bottom coil and that just rides right on the frame. It almost looked like the spring was rotated or not sitting correctly and this got me to thinking that it could be the spring moving/rubbing that was causing the popping noise.

The only other thing I can think it could be would be the ball-joint part of the Track Bar... could be somehow worn out (it looks good and is greased up)? It could be a soft/worn out shock? Could be a bad/worn bushing in my Upper or Lower Control arms (the bolts are all tight on these)? Or... I guess it could be a crack in the frame somewhere that I just haven't found yet?

The real problem is trying to simulate driving and suspension movement while sitting under the front end trying to find the source.

Any suggestions?

Yes, there should be a rubber isolator.

The clunking on turns could be your sway bar binding/contacting the front spring as well.

There's an isolator at the top of the coil, I don't recall ever seeing an isolator on the bottom.

Check the frame end bracket for your trackbar CAREFULLY. One of the weldnuts on mine had cracked loose and popped for a couple of years before I finally tracked it down.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, I recently changed out the front sway bar bushings (to frame) w/eurothane bushing and the end link bushings were also replaced w/new rubber ones. Motor mounts are MORE mounts... and my rig has 223K miles on her... :)

ParadiseXJ said:
Yes, there should be a rubber isolator.

The clunking on turns could be your sway bar binding/contacting the front spring as well.

Sorry, didn't read through it.

Isolator on top only.

If you haven't already, look very carefully at the bottom turn of the coil. If possible, jack it up by the body, to stretch the spring a little. It's not uncommon to have it crack there, and it doesn't always show.

FOLLOW-UP...

I jacked up the front end this weekend and took off the drivers side wheel. I double checked the sway bar and end link. Control arms are tight and the bushings are in ok shape. Coil Spring appears to be seated correctly and also the little hold-down tab looks good. Shock doesn't appear to be leaking fluid and still working ok. The ball joint end of the track bar appears to be good. I did get out my 18mm socket and breaker bar and cranked down the track-bar mounting plates... the side two wouldn't move at all and are very tight... the bottom two bolts I was able to tighten just ever SO slightly. They squealed/squeaked when I tightened them up. I also greased up the upper ball-joint, track bar, front drive-shaft joint and any other areas that had a grease fitting. Most of these had been greased up about 4-6 months back... however I didn't do the drive-shaft then.

Anyway... after doing all this it appears the pop has been remedied. Not sure what fixed it, or if I just quieted the problem w/the grease... but after driving it a couple days I haven't heard that pop since doing the work. I really wish I knew exactly what had fixed the problem, but at this point I'll take it the way it is.

During my checking I did however discover that my front brake pads are almost gone. Now on to another 'fix' probably this weekend. I thought I had changed out the brake pads on my XJ a few years back, but if I did I can't remember who I got the pads from and A-zone has no record of it. I prefer PF Carbon-Metalic pads as I've had a LOT of success using them road-racing my former Mustang Cobra (very front heavy car) and on other vehicles... but apparently if I did change out the pads, I didn't use those. Found out by calling my local A-zone that I've changed out the pads on my wife's '03 Libby, and my son's '87 XJ.... but not my own '96. Guess I'll knock that out this weekend. :)

Back