• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition issue

bigdaddyjlove

NAXJA Forum User
Could use some help here to see if I'm retarded. 94 XJ. R and R the motor, all went well, but now the engine won't start. No spark. Replaced the distributor with one from a running Jeep, ditto the coil. No obvious kinks or bends in the wiring, the cable shroud isn't crushed. The crankshaft position sensor is the one that was in the Jeep when the motor was pulled and the Jeep still ran (bottom end issues) the grounds on the block have been scraped and tightened.

So, what have I missed. any help is appreciated

when u installed the motor is it possible u hit he cps? when i replced the motor in my 94 there was not much room between the flywheel and the cps when putting the motor back in, check to make sure all connection are plugged check fuses are u getting power to the coil plug in, spark out of the coil, goodl luck

I wondered about hitting the sensor, but this motor was one of the easiest as far as falling into place, that I have done.

as for the rest:
checked all the fuses under the hood,
there is no spark (from the coil directly), so can I expect power to the coil?

i serached under "wont start" and most of the responses were check the cps with a meter, u should get 200 plus minus 75 i believe, if u search u will find the directions to check the cps, i believe that is whre your problem is

just thought of something else, before i swapped in my motor i painted it ( along with my 5yr old) and had to clean the coil connector and the oil sending unit sounds silly i know but have seen worse causes of electrical issues let me know what u find out

dinorl007 said:
just thought of something else, before i swapped in my motor i painted it ( along with my 5yr old) and had to clean the coil connector and the oil sending unit sounds silly i know but have seen worse causes of electrical issues let me know what u find out

Yeah, this is one of the things we treid. Pulled the coil, scraped the blocka nd re-installed.

Will check the CPS later tonight.

thanks

Update:

Changed the CPS, got spark!
Set distributor at TDC. No start

Fuel pressure is at 42, there is fuel in the cyliders, it is sparking at the plugs

No start.

Help?

bigdaddyjlove said:
Update:

Changed the CPS, got spark!
Set distributor at TDC. No start

Fuel pressure is at 42, there is fuel in the cyliders, it is sparking at the plugs

No start.

Help?

Did you get the right TDC? Remember that the distributor and camshaft turn once for every twice the engine turns, so only every other TDC will put the valves in the right place. Make sure you have cylinder one on compression when you set the distributor. If it still doesn't fire, try moving the distributor by one tooth either way.

Thanks, Yeah we checked that it was compression stroke (figer in the spark plug hole) and checked against the timing mark on the Crankshaft pully.

Really baffeled by this one.

Back