• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard to put AX15 into gear when hot

Renegade

NAXJA Forum User
When it is hot outside or when I have drive the jeep all day, it is very hard to put into a gear when i am at a dead stop, I have to force it it seems. I bleed the clutch, but didnt seem to help. Clutch is about 4 years old. I am running some Royal Purple synthetic m/t fluid. (no one had Redline). Could the syncros or the slave/master cylinder be going?

Thanks

(96 XJ, AX15, NP231)

I wouldn't think it would be a syncro issue at dead stop. I've had master cylinders with internal pressure leaks due to disintegrating seals--maybe once the fluid gets hot/warmer it gets by easier.

My shifting problems stopped when I replaced a loose shifter bushing on the external shifter assy, and I switched to Redline MT-90, but mine is Nissan 5 speed tranny, not the AX15.

Thanks for replies. Yeah, I am not loosing any clutch fluid, thats why I am hesitant on changing the slave/master cylinder. But, also i do notice when the jeep has been driven for a while, the clutch pedal makes a crunching sound while being pushed in.... Prob just goin to change slave/master cylinder unit.

Try pumping the clutch a few times when you come to a stop and see if it makes it easier to put into gear. If it does, I'd suspect the master or slave. If it doesn't make it easier, it could still be the master or slave but also may be a warped clutch that just gets worse as it heats up. Does the clutch engage smoothly normally? I agree with others that it doesn't sound like a synchro or other type of gear issue.

Renegade said:
Thanks for replies. Yeah, I am not loosing any clutch fluid, thats why I am hesitant on changing the slave/master cylinder. But, also i do notice when the jeep has been driven for a while, the clutch pedal makes a crunching sound while being pushed in.... Prob just goin to change slave/master cylinder unit.

Crunching sound may = bad throwout bearing.

Back