• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any easy way to tell if I have abs?

BlitzM4

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 99 xj that was advertised as having abs but now that I am comparing the rear axle it looks like a 8.25 which would mean no abs. Im not positive on the axle identification so is there any other way to tell if I it has abs?

turn the ignition key to the on position, and look for the (ABS) light on the dash... If there is none, you probably don't have it.

Look for the ABS system under the hood.

standard.jpg

My '99 is pretty obvious. Just look at your drum brake backing plate. If you only have an e-brake line and a regular brake line going into your rear drum, no ABS. If there is a third little black line running into the back of it then you have ABS.

With one side of the Jeep on pavement and the other on gravel, at about ~20 MPH, stomp the whoa pedal. If the wheels lock on the gravel side, you ain't got ABS. If the pedal goes nuts and starts pounding your foot, you gott'm....

I can get the wifes van ABS to work by using a gravel road, so that might work a little better for control of the skid......

Y'all sure do things the hard way. Do like Tim said and look under the hood for the ABS box with all the metal lines coming out of it.

I inspect vehicles all day and I have to note whether or not a car has ABS. I pop the hood and look for the box.

xjohnnyc said:
Y'all sure do things the hard way. Do like Tim said and look under the hood for the ABS box with all the metal lines coming out of it.

I inspect vehicles all day and I have to note whether or not a car has ABS. I pop the hood and look for the box.

I peek at the front wheel opening and look for dual lines going to the caliper. :)

Back