• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana Guru's..please check in!

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I think I know the answer to this but I need some backup.

I pulled the gear set out of a D44 today and found that the little "D"s on the bearing caps were both upside down.

Here is a couple pics. I put the caps back on after I pulled the carrier out to show you how they came out.

DanaGears006.jpg

DanaGears005.jpg

So my question is. Should I put this together the way I think it should be? With the "D"s matched up? Or did Dana ever screw up and put this on the wrong side? (yeah yeah I know)

Also...other then to the carrier bearings which are going to be replaced along with the carrier...will this cause any damage to the case?

Thanks oh wise ones of Dana Lore.

While working at a GM dealership, I have always put the caps back on the same sides, if I was not replacing Carrier berrings or races. If I was, I still would try to put them in the way they came out, but had a few instances where they went in on opposite sides. Never had any comebacks on the ones that went in on different sides, due to howling or whining from the diff, or a case problem.

Maybe the rearend has been torn into before, and the previous person put them in differently? As long as thier hasn't been a problem with them so far, Id leave them, or swap them back, to what you think is the right way.

Im also assuming that the 2 punch dots in the second picture are from someone, or you, who marked them to go back into the proper place.

Just my .02.

well I would have to say, either I am not unique in the way I mark caps or you have a D30 that I have worked on at some point lol

Edit.. just reread its a d44 so unless its a rear (which it could be if it had a special truss welded to it :-0 I never touched it

Put it back together the way you took it apart.

As for just puting them back on how ever. Sure. Might as well just by genuine gears also, if your want to press your luck.

Dana align bores and hones Every housing before assembly and each cap is differnt. A Real gear shop will trash a housing if it comes in without the caps or even only have one. That tells ya something.

If you had no problems with it before, then put it back the way you found it. They are a machine fit. Hopefully if it has been apart before, the other person did the same.

caglezxj said:
If you had no problems with it before, then put it back the way you found it. They are a machine fit. Hopefully if it has been apart before, the other person did the same.
Thats the thing. I have no idea. I just bought this jeep and axle. It has never been on the street with me.

The gears look brand new and the bearings fell super tight...like it was just rebuilt. I have a feeling it was just put together wrong.

DrMoab said:
Thats the thing. I have no idea. I just bought this jeep and axle. It has never been on the street with me.

The gears look brand new and the bearings fell super tight...like it was just rebuilt. I have a feeling it was just put together wrong.

I think it's a roll the dice thing.

You don't have the history of the axle, eh? Did you hear it run? Was it noisy?

I'd be inclined to put it back the way you found it and ignore the Dana marks if it was not noisy and had a good pattern.

When I did the fubar'ed D30 housing I played with some of the extra bearing caps I had lying around - some of them would create an edge where the housing transitioned from housing to cap. Definately not a good fit. If the "as you found it" setup doesn't have a lip I'd be inclined to leave it that way for certain.

I dunno, regardless you are still rolling the dice. Maybe put them on the factory way and check for a edge?

Sorry, don't have anything more optimistic.

The caps should be rotated. You'll see that once they are spun 180, both "D"s will be at the same orientation.

--Matt

Yes, but has the axle been "run-in" with the incorrect config? Will putting them the correct orientation screw it up at this point?

That was more what I was trying to get at.

if you want to get a more accurate answer, I would say.. Take a telescoping gauge and find out which way results in the least, or any, out of round readings. Or just start with (as someone else suggested) doing a finger test of the hole :roll: See if you can feel a ridge at all either way. If you can then its the opposite that would make the most sense...

Back