• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 needs more help

Bensride

NAXJA Forum User
After replacing the chain, both output bearings, shift fork wear pads (in first arm not second)
I reinstalled into the XJ. After buttoning up the rest of the stuff I drove it and It wouldnt go into 2WD.
Thought hmm musta F-d up the linkage or ?? checked all that out. THEN noticed my shitty manual said to put it into 4LO with the lever 1/8"?? or so forward then pull the t-case... Oops obviously missed that part.
So then I thought I musta not had the shift arm etc right inside. So I yarded the back end of the damn thing off under the jeep and seems OK.

Problem is with the case in 4lo, re-adjusted the linkage for the 1/4", then trying to shift forward into 2wd the actual lever wont go into the 2wd spot! Its its like hitting a stop or something isnt timed right inside?
(at this point i should say that I didnt disassasemble anything to do with the shift shaft or its interal stuff, just replaced the three pads that hold the "gear" in the shift fork)

When I look inside the case It looks like the "cam" (thing the shift shaft turns, flat with 4? teeth on the bottom and opened up L shapped slot in the middle.) goes to all the positions. The top shift fork seems to go into all its positions. but the bottom one?
It does also seem to get into 2wd ( the tcase) but I think thats just the full time being lovely :)
Basically is there anything special that needs done positioning wise or "preloaded" inside this damn case? Thanks in advance!

Not sure if you had to do this before but put everything back together drive it forward or backwards alittle and once your rolling put the tranny in neutral and then shift the transfer. I always have to do that to get my 242 out of 4lo and in 2wd. Try that and see what happens.

Yes all 4 about the same (within pound or two)
Yes Think I tried shifting t-case in neutral but will again later tonight..
Thanks guys

Back