• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does a Zip Tied battery count? NAXJA regulation

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]When I got my Jeep there was no strap. And I now have a Optima Red top. I am going on a Chapter Outing and I need to have a battery tie down. Would one of the large 3 foot zip ties work? Or am I going to need to go to the Junkyard and part out a old factory tie down?

Or do the sealed batteries like the Optima need a tie down since they cannot spill?
[/FONT]

Not properly tyeing down your battery could lead to something like this.

DSC00776.jpg

SO does a ZIP TIE work? and is it a NAXJA approved method of a battery tie down.

Your call, I wouldn't recommend it, unless it was just a trail fix to make it home.

I would say no, they would probably not let youe wheel that way. Just go to your local parts store and get a universal battery hold down. Its about 8-12 dollars. Atleast then you have a better chance of your XJ NOT looking like the above.

Spill is not the issue, shorting the posts on other metal things is as you could start a fire.

Either go to the yard and get a stock one, or the autoparts store and buy an aftermarket one. A zip tie will probably not hold a 50lb battery if you get in an accident or sudden stop.

IIRC, the tech inspection specifies no bungy cords. A tie wrap in in that catagory.

Yup... $10-15 at the local parts house or chain-store for a kit (a top clamp and a pair of long J-bolts/nuts) and you're all set.

IMHO, the cheapest way to do it is to buy a proper tie down.

I use a $5 ratchet tie down with no hooks from Wal-Mart, just loop it around the battery tray and ratchet down. Don't get too tight though!

Dustin_Z said:
I use a $5 ratchet tie down with no hooks from Wal-Mart, just loop it around the battery tray and ratchet down. Don't get too tight though!

i'd say you're safe.. it's the Pep Boys straps that aren't NAXJA-approved..

A rubber boot over the terminals of the battery will also help you out if you happen to flip and crush the hood down onto the battery. Upsidedown and busted is better than upsidedown, busted and on fire any day.

~Alex

Stallacrew said:
At least the tires made it.

A friend of mine had his 06 f150 lightning stolen,thrashed and burned, he asked the cop if there was sign of a jimmied igntion, the cop snickered and said other than the shell, all they found was a puddle of aluminum on the ground where the motor once was. That jeep doesn't look that bad!

got a strap at auto zone for a few bucks (3.99 i think) so I am covered.

Back