• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking oil onto the exhaust after driving 55mph uphill?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
This is the second time this has happened, but it is the first time where I have been able to identify where the smoke is coming from. I was driving up a long steep hill to a ski resort last night to propose to my girlfriend, and after about 5 miles of this, I notice a lot of smoke behind us. I pulled over immediately, and find a large oil leak somewhere between the oil pan and the transmission. This pic shows you where it was dripping out:
DSC00887.jpg

It was coming right off the bottom of the tranny, but it was definitely engine oil and not auto tranny fluid. I know there is a gasket/seal that needs to be replaced, but am wondering what it is called and who here has had this problem. Mine is a '99 w/ 140,000 miles on it.

This only happens after really straining the engine, like going up long steep hills, and it happened a few months ago on my trip to Moab going through the canyon from Springville to Price (lots of hills.) It has no leaks or issues driving through town or on long flat roads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

FordGuy said:
Looks like the rear main/oil pan. fun fun fun!

Wow, that really looks familiar, doesn't it Rich? :D

What is involved in replacing the rear main seal?

It can go one of two ways. You wont know untill you have already started. But all you have to do is:
drain oil
remove pan (easier on lifted vehicles because the pan will clear the axle easier)
take punch and spin out rear seal (can be an evil sob or come right out)
lube new seal and install it
reverse directions above
and done

While your in there you might as well get a high volume oil pump.

Going up hill? One other thing to check in the back of your valve cover...mine was leaking pretty bad there while going up a steep hill...oil was dripping down along the block and onto the exhaust pipe below.

I guess oil was pooling in the back of the valve cover going up hill???

Okay, so after discussing this problem with a friend of mine, we have decided that it could be one of 3 things:

1) rear main seal gone bad

2) 3 O-rings of the oil filter

or 3) a leaky valve cover.

I'm going to clean up the engine and see if I can get it to leak again and see where it's coming from. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jeeperguy21 said:
Okay, so after discussing this problem with a friend of mine, we have decided that it could be one of 3 things:

I'm going to clean up the engine and see if I can get it to leak again and see where it's coming from. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Clean, find, report, and fix.
Ooh I just replaced my Rear Main Seal last week, can you say "Black Rain":skull1:

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Clean, find, report, and fix.
Ooh I just replaced my Rear Main Seal last week, can you say "Black Rain":skull1:

What the heck, all three go bad, knock out all three and be done with oil leaks forever!

Might as well while I'm at it, eh? Will do.

jeeperguy21 said:

If all fails try to find some black light additive for the oil run if for a while then look for the source of the leak with a black light.

2X Ford guy, We've done the valve cover gaskets on both our rigs,the 0-ring on our 95, all needed & we still need to do rear seals on both the 87 & 95. Of course the uphill leaks come from the valve cover and the seal, both chronic 4.0 problems.

same thing happens to me. It was when I was going to Moab (never happend when comming back). or when going through Highway I-80 out east.

But I had previously cleaned the motor out and when i was filling up the next time after the smoking i saw that there was oil from the valve cover cap back.

But I also have a rear main that I think needs to replace. I never have to add oil between changed but when I am under my jeep I usualy take one of my rags and wipe it clean and after a few weeks and I get back under there is a little drip thats stating. but I dont have any spots in the driveway.

So the up hill leak of the 4.0l is a known problem... humm on a nother jeep forum it seamed like it was strange that it could be leaking from the valve cover.

Mine does the exact same thing after a long run like that. Going up mountains, it starts to get warm and will dump oil everywhere....or hell even sitting in traffic on a day when the outside temp is above 60 it will start to leak. However, I can run it down the highway all day long and not have any problems.

Did the valve cover gasket a couple of years ago, the oil filter o-rings last year....guess it's time for the rear main now.

:huh:what is the o-ring fix?

do you do this when the stock O-ring on the Oil Filter does not do a good enough job?

Magus2727 said:
do you do this when the stock O-ring on the Oil Filter does not do a good enough job?

It leaks from the adapter to block. You remove the oil filter, then remove the adapter and install new orings, Some years have a very large torx which can be hard to find. Kragen actually stocks them in the tool section.

Magus2727 said:
Nope, There is a bigger o-ring that goes between the block and the adaptor if memory serves, and two smaller ones on the bolt holding the adaptor to the block. The bigger one was the one that hardened up in my case, but it's best as with anything to go ahead and replace the other two while you've got it apart. The o-ring set at the dealer was about $4 and some change if I remember correctly. Make sure you get the set as it will have all 3 that you need.

A good sign that it is leaking is you'll see oil on the oil filter itself, on the back side (I call it the back side...but it's really the side of the filter that's closest to the ground). Your 95 will have a T60 torx bit holding the bolt on. Have fun getting that and a wrench in that space to spin the bolt off. Many have cutsom made their own tool for this by taking the torx bit and welding it onto a wrench.

Back