• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New A/C Compressor...Any Recommendations?

GregoryGosa

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0L Automatic 2WD with 153,000 miles and I went and had my A/C system checked and I need a new A/C compressor. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can get a decent priced replacement. Should I go with new or remanufactured?

im in the same boat... but i think im heading to the junkyard... clean, drain oil, refill oil and charge.... oh yeah, and cross fingers!...

can't believe what they cost!... wish i could just pick up a new one... but DAMN..

JOe

scour ebay.

i just picked up a brand new OEM Sanden compressor for a 94-96 R134 system for 118 shipped.

Every few years they changed.

best thing to do is get the part # and cross reference it on google.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check ebay. I did some looking around on the compressors and apparently 1991-1993 Cherokee, 1991-1992 Comanche, and 1991-1995 Wrangler compressors will work. Why wouldn't later models work?

Last edited:
94 was a compressor overlap year, R12 and R134, same mount style.

The later ones will not work, I'm assuming because they mount differently.

I have a 1984 XJ Pioneer. That's right. 2.8L and all that. Anyhow, the compressor started blowing coolant and the quote was about $750 to replace the whole system. I took several digital photos of the compressor and went to the wrecking yard. Found a matching compressor and took it home. It went on and worked great for two days. Turns out the replacement compressor was working great and not blowing coolant. (Its always a crap shoot with used parts but the savings can be significant.) Turned out it was an o ring near the evaporator. Got that replaced. Set the a/c on nuclear winter and ran the hell out of it for three days and then took it to the Outer Banks and ran it there with no problems. Had a good time going up and down the beach north of Corolla sometimes taking my 82 year old mother who was the original owner.

Just to add to this I always get either a junkyard unit or 100% new when I buy compressors. The remans always tend to make noise and run rough in my experience. Good luck!

KingOfTheHill said:
im in the same boat... but i think im heading to the junkyard... clean, drain oil, refill oil and charge.... oh yeah, and cross fingers!...

can't believe what they cost!... wish i could just pick up a new one... but DAMN..

JOe

I picked up an AC Compressor at the local pick n pull and it was about $30. I forget if that was on half price day or not. Probably on full price day though, I can't really remember as it was about a year ago.

Reman units cost around $350.

Back