• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why do i need 35's, A build ?

I don't know why, but lately i am torn about my current jeep build. I just recently finished installing frame stiffners, high clearence rockers simmilar to EricsXj, and beefed up the mounts on my HP dana 30. My original plan was to save enough money to do 4 inches of lift, 33's and short arms. But lately I am torn between that set up and saving more mone to just do 35's.

35's ,mean better steering, probly longarms, 4.5 to 5 inches of lift, maybe new brakes, and adressing my axels. The hp 30 and 8.25. I know I am probly just getting caught up in the bigger is better phase, but is their really a good resaon to build my jeep for 35's. I wheel mostly wooded and rocky trails in Ohio, and Missiouri. Give me some help, I could really use some sound build advise, and want my rig built right for the years to come. I am just worried that 35's will kill my jeep and make me regret not just building for 33's and getting out their and enjoying my jeep and fun of wheeling. Thanks...Micah.

33's locked f/r will get further than 35's open f/r usually

35's give you better ground clearance, but wheelin on 33's is about the same as 35's. Thats not to say I would go back to wheelin on 33's though

I have:
35's (previously 33's on same axles)
lockright D30
detroit D44
alloy shafts/ ujoints

Where do you wheel?

Where have you seen similar rigs denied on 33's?

Look at the group of people you go wheeling with, and see what they're running... if they're all running 33's - then dont go to 35's - just run with them...

There is a notion that 'starting small' and 'building up' is good - you learn a lot more about what you want your rig to do when you're small...

Ive always been a fan of getting the rig together, and going wheeling as much as possible - being in the drivers seat will tell you what you need WAY more than anyone sitting infront of their computer at 11:00pm (PST) can...

You can still put longarms on with 33's. I wouldn't build it any different for 33's. If you ever want to go to 35's just throw in some bump stops and go.

Ground clearance with 35s is 1" over 33s....

I'd stick with 33s - as was stated, you can still go LA with 33s and if you decide later that you need that extra inch, you can always upgrade.

I usually wheel at hannibal rocks, and badlands.

As of right now i am on 31's and I have learnd alot running my rid like this. Lockers are one thing I def want, and thats my main reson for hestitating about 35's. My axels will cry. I am very easy on the gas, and i normally atempt a dif line instead of gunnig it.

In genneral have never seen anyone, who is an experienced wheeler get denied on 33's, excep in situations when climbing muddy washouts with rocks. They seem to get hung up because of ground clearence, not because of traction.

I don't think that I will personally need any bigger then 33's, and i believe that for my skill level at this point 33's are a good choice, I am just torn because 35's seem to be that standard when is comes to conquering tough trails. More or less i want you all to convice me one way or the other by your experience on 33's and 35's. It seems most of you have found 33's exceptable, and capable, let me hear more,
and give me some more sugestions on my build as for as lift and suspension. are long ams the best choise even if i go with 4 inches of lift.

33s have worked fine for me for years. I'm lifted 6.5" and they will stuff all the way up into the fenders without rubbing and without bumpstops. My heep gets me pretty much wherever I want to go. Plus not having 35s and lockers forces me to avoid the really bad obstacles that could cause body and/or other damage.
Unless of course that is what you want to do, then by all means.

You will be surprised where you can go on 33's. If you daily drive, think about MPG. I have 33's a RE 3.5 lift w/ trimming. Same axles you have, locked and have a blast on the trail. Go to the rock crawling pic thread and see my post from today. Drive to the trail, have fun, and drive home. with 4.10's I average 14 MPG...

Micah,

If you plan on keeping the 8.25 then you should be looking at 4.56 gears. Those are perfect for 33's and since its the lowest you can go on that axle, you would be running the same gears for 35's, which is still acceptable. So I think if you start out with 33's now, jumping up to 35's later will not be a huge expense. Along the way you can upgrade the steering, which is a good thing even with 33's, along with the brakes if you wish. Some guys run stock shafts with 35's but alloys are of course better. And that is a simple upgrade since you really don't need to change anything - just swap them in. Alloys for the 8.25 cost about $100 a shaft. You may also want a little more lift for 35's and I know that is debateable. I REALLY like my setup with about 6" lift and 35's. But if you plan it right you can up your suspension just a bit when it comes time by using a longer shackle, making shackle relocation boxes, or a small block and spacers.

So my point is, don't be afraid to settle for 33's now, as upgrading to 35's later can be easy and not cost a whole lot more.

What ever you decide on, it's inevitable that you'll eventually want it bigger.

razdrvr said:
What ever you decide on, it's inevitable that you'll eventually want it bigger.
One way to consider it, if you plan on running 33s, build for 35s. If you plan on 35s, build for 37s, etc.

Thanks for all of your input. this has helped greatly, and gives me sanity for now. I think my build for 33's will continue, and steering, gears, and longarms will all be part of it. also eric how are the new rocker replacement sliders holding up. I love the way mine tured out. I pretty much just followed you write up on Jeep forum. Thanks so much for all of your help. Micah, if any of you all ever get to hannibal, hannibal rocks is a great little palce to wheel...

If you're debating between the two, get the bigger ones. You won't ever think "I wish I had only gotten 33's", but with 33's you'll probably keep thinking about what it will take to get 35's under there, at least that's what I do. Even if you ended up breaking an axle with 33's, would you really regret having the bigger tires, or just think "cool, now I can build that stronger axle I wanted?" Maybe that's just me.

Back